Cancer patient dies, leaves her family 3,000 hidden words of encouragement
Twelve-year-old Athena Orchard died of cancer May 28, but not before she left her family a special gift.
A few days after Athena’s passing, Dean Orchard moved a full-length mirror from his daughter’s room only to discover a 3,000-word epistle to her family hidden on the back, according to Leicester Mercury.
The message was filled with positive reinforcement for her grieving family.
“Maybe it’s not about the happy ending, maybe it’s about the story,” Athena penned, according to Metro.
Athena died six months after discovering she had osteosarcoma, leaving behind nine siblings.
“She was always positive, even when she was in the hospital she would be looking after me, making sure I ate and telling me not to cry,” Athena’s mother Caroline told the Daily Mail in an article that has begun circulating on social media.
Those words are absolutely beautiful. RIP Athena Orchard http://t.co/zOVMCe677F— Mohsin Tanveer (@MohsinTanveer10) June 4, 2014
The Orchards said they plan to keep the mirror in Athena’s room forever.
“It’s a part of her we can keep in the house,” Caroline said.
Megan Marsden Christensen is an intern with the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- Piano Guys, David Archuleta, 'Nutcracker':...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- 4 unexpected health risks of smartphone use
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and Idina...
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says family...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 33
- Brittany Maynard, right-to-die voice,... 6
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3
- The Clean Cut: Magic of Disney's... 3
- Sherry Young: When the scruffy look is... 3
- This new video game shows that there is... 3
- Minivans do poorly in new crash tests 2
- Going gluten-free for Thanksgiving 2