Cancer patient dies, leaves her family 3,000 hidden words of encouragement
Twelve-year-old Athena Orchard died of cancer May 28, but not before she left her family a special gift.
A few days after Athena’s passing, Dean Orchard moved a full-length mirror from his daughter’s room only to discover a 3,000-word epistle to her family hidden on the back, according to Leicester Mercury.
The message was filled with positive reinforcement for her grieving family.
“Maybe it’s not about the happy ending, maybe it’s about the story,” Athena penned, according to Metro.
Athena died six months after discovering she had osteosarcoma, leaving behind nine siblings.
“She was always positive, even when she was in the hospital she would be looking after me, making sure I ate and telling me not to cry,” Athena’s mother Caroline told the Daily Mail in an article that has begun circulating on social media.
Those words are absolutely beautiful. RIP Athena Orchard http://t.co/zOVMCe677F— Mohsin Tanveer (@MohsinTanveer10) June 4, 2014
The Orchards said they plan to keep the mirror in Athena’s room forever.
“It’s a part of her we can keep in the house,” Caroline said.
Megan Marsden Christensen is an intern with the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- Erin Stewart: Are Mormon women getting...
- The Clean Cut: 3-year-old boy performs 'Do...
- UTubers: BYU's Divine Comedy makes computer...
- UTubers: Cousins perform 'Shut Up and Dance'...
- Concert preview: Broadway star Kelli O'Hara...
- Mental health issues recast as a natural part...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Erin Stewart: Are Mormon women getting... 37
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 11
- Baby boomers are not selling off homes,... 3
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Advice for... 3
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on... 3
- Chris Hicks: Faith films can't be... 3
- There is more to fry sauce than just... 2
- Mental health issues recast as a... 2