It's been a 'charmed life' for former BYU football star Vai Sikahema
Ravell Call, Deseret News
From growing up aspiring to be a boxer, to excelling in football and now enjoying a broadcasting career, former BYU football standout Vai Sikahema has led a fulfilling life.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel recently caught up with the former BYU return specialist/running back to talk about the journey he's been on, which included one season playing for the Green Bay Packers.
Sikahema, who writes the periodical column "Vai's View" for the Deseret News, is a father of four and currently anchors the morning news for NBC10 in Philadelphia and has served as the station's sports director.
His football career included two Pro Bowl selections, becoming the first Tongan to ever play in the NFL and setting an NCAA record at BYU for most punt returns in a career (153 for 1,312 yards and three touchdowns).
"I've basically had two jobs in my adult life: playing football and covering sports," Sikahema told the Journal Sentinel. "I've had a charmed life and am very grateful for my opportunities."
Sikahema's broadcasting career helped him meet his idol Muhammad Ali during the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, and his love of boxing proved to be an asset on the football field.
"Returning is exactly like boxing — you make people miss with quick movements," he said. "Ducking and feinting — a head fake or shoulder drop."
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 287
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 79
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 51
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 40
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37