Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OREM — Following the recent completion of the 2013-14 school year, the Western Wrestling Conference announced on Tuesday its All-Academic Team and Coaches' Honor Roll for the past season. Utah Valley University finished third in the conference by landing 14 of its grapplers on the two teams.
UVU's Chase Cuthbertson (3.68 GPA), Avery Garner (3.42), Abel Gomez (3.63), Sam Mecham (3.79), Bracken Nipko (3.70) and Monte Schmalhaus (3.35) all made the All-Academic Team, while Adam Fager (3.11), Koleton Hardy (3.36), Derek Malan (3.11), Tucker Ray (3.33), Tanner Sprenkle (3.57), Maxwell Sultan (3.28), Ross Taylor (3.85) and Derek Thomas (3.13) landed a spot on the Coaches' Honor Roll.
To qualify for the All-Academic Team, student-athletes had to secure a minimum 3.2 cumulative grade point average and be a starter or key reserve. The Coaches' Honor Roll recognizes all student-athletes who have maintained a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
Overall, 77 student-athletes from the six conference schools were honored for their work in the classroom. The All-Academic Team featured 27 wrestlers, while the Coaches' Honor Roll has 50 on it. UVU and North Dakota State tied to lead all conference squads with six grapplers each on the All-Academic Team, while NDSU and South Dakota State posted 17 and 16 respective wrestlers on the two teams.
The Wolverines and Bison were also recognized for their academics by the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) a couple weeks ago as UVU had the 21st best team GPA in the nation with a 3.097 and NDSU was 26th with a 3.061. Individually, NDSU's Evan Knutson and Steven Monk as well as SDSU's Alex Kocer and UVU's Garner were named the NWCA Individual All-Academic Team.
The Western Wrestling Conference is comprised of six schools, including the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Aggie linebackers stick together in third...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- 2016 NFL draft: Southern Utah's Miles...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 91
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 20
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 13
- BYU football announces full spring... 12