Book review: 'The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook' essential guide for food allergies, healthy eating
Editor's note: This is one of several cookbooks and other informational books that cater to specific medical issues have crossed our desks recently. While books like these can help supplement a diet or treatment, they should be coupled with the advice of medical professionals.
Sensitive to gluten? Allergic to soy? Must avoid eggs and dairy? Want to have a healthier lifestyle? Or all of the above? If so, "The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook" has tips and recipes for you.
Not only does the 464-page cookbook have more than 300 allergy-conscious recipes, it also has helpful easy-to-digest chapters for novice cooks: "The Whole Food Sensitivity Story," "Organics, Your Health and the Planet," "Stocking Your Whole Foods Kitchen," "Essential Cooking Equipment," "Definition of Cooking Techniques" and a handful more.
While some health-conscious cookbooks can be daunting or confusing, this one is quite the opposite, providing simple recipes, definitions, cooking techniques, bolded tips and pictures. Authors Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre are behind this clean yet thorough guide and tell readers in the book's introduction, "If you feel overwhelmed and don't know where to begin, then simply start by baking a few of the recipes that look familiar to you. ... Lasting dietary change takes time. You don't need to do it all at once."
While the majority of recipes are free of dairy, soy and eggs (and all gluten-free), Segersten and Malterre assure "there are various options for using these ingredients in some recipes." Full-size, glossy pictures make some meals more appealing, with recipe titles like Garlic Kale Kraut, Pickled Turnips and Gingered Daikon and Carrot Sticks.
This is an ideal cookbook for a family with food allergies as well as those in need of some hand-holding as they change their lifestyle and commit to cooking with fresh foods and homemade ingredients.
Brooke Willardson Porter is a California native, a writer, mom, editor and full-time wife to a busy pediatric resident. Join her worrisome scenarios and solutions at atleastitsnotasingle.blogspot.com. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harry Potter trivia quiz: Can you get 10...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform to...
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- It's safe to vaccinate kids — studies...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Linda & Richard Eyre: What we can all... 18
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 13
- Understanding and responding to the... 9
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but... 9
- Leaving your child alone in public?... 5
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform... 5
- Wright Words: Why I’m sorry for... 5