Book review: 'The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook' essential guide for food allergies, healthy eating
Editor's note: This is one of several cookbooks and other informational books that cater to specific medical issues have crossed our desks recently. While books like these can help supplement a diet or treatment, they should be coupled with the advice of medical professionals.
Sensitive to gluten? Allergic to soy? Must avoid eggs and dairy? Want to have a healthier lifestyle? Or all of the above? If so, "The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook" has tips and recipes for you.
Not only does the 464-page cookbook have more than 300 allergy-conscious recipes, it also has helpful easy-to-digest chapters for novice cooks: "The Whole Food Sensitivity Story," "Organics, Your Health and the Planet," "Stocking Your Whole Foods Kitchen," "Essential Cooking Equipment," "Definition of Cooking Techniques" and a handful more.
While some health-conscious cookbooks can be daunting or confusing, this one is quite the opposite, providing simple recipes, definitions, cooking techniques, bolded tips and pictures. Authors Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre are behind this clean yet thorough guide and tell readers in the book's introduction, "If you feel overwhelmed and don't know where to begin, then simply start by baking a few of the recipes that look familiar to you. ... Lasting dietary change takes time. You don't need to do it all at once."
While the majority of recipes are free of dairy, soy and eggs (and all gluten-free), Segersten and Malterre assure "there are various options for using these ingredients in some recipes." Full-size, glossy pictures make some meals more appealing, with recipe titles like Garlic Kale Kraut, Pickled Turnips and Gingered Daikon and Carrot Sticks.
This is an ideal cookbook for a family with food allergies as well as those in need of some hand-holding as they change their lifestyle and commit to cooking with fresh foods and homemade ingredients.
Brooke Willardson Porter is a California native, a writer, mom, editor and full-time wife to a busy pediatric resident. Join her worrisome scenarios and solutions at atleastitsnotasingle.blogspot.com. EMAIL: email@example.com
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- Piano Guys, David Archuleta, 'Nutcracker':...
- 4 unexpected health risks of smartphone use
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and Idina...
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says family...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 34
- Brittany Maynard, right-to-die voice,... 6
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3
- The Clean Cut: Magic of Disney's... 3
- Sherry Young: When the scruffy look is... 3
- This new video game shows that there is... 3
- Minivans do poorly in new crash tests 2
- How will the NFL respond to domestic... 2