Book review: 'The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook' from the America's Test Kitchen
Editor's note: This is one of several cookbooks and other informational books that cater to specific medical issues have crossed our desks recently. While books like these can help supplement a diet or treatment, they should be coupled with the advice of medical professionals.
"The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook" is the ideal kitchen guide for those looking to make non-gluten versions of their favorite comfort foods.
This cookbook focuses on re-creating basic and popular recipes that usually require large amounts of wheat flour, which is the main source of gluten found in food.
Cakes, breads, pastas, breakfast foods, cookies and grains are all made possible through gluten substitutions that have been scientifically tested and proven to create a finished product that looks and tastes like the “real” thing.
The editors introduce gluten and how to eat without it and rate different brands of gluten-free products. They recommend only a few while cautioning against the majority. Many recipes call for the America’s Test Kitchen Gluten-Free Flour Blend — a mixture that includes products like brown rice flower and tapioca starch — to be used as a base ingredient.
Each recipe includes a detailed description of why this gluten-free version will yield success. Most recipes are basic and easy to follow, and a large, color photo accompanies each item.
This cookbook was written with a completely gluten-free lifestyle in mind, as many ingredients called for will not be found on the shelves of a typical household. Those who are stocking up on gluten substitutions for the first time can expect a fairly expensive grocery trip.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Dear Dad, you’re doing it all wrong (a...
- Motherhood Matters: What do you focus on?
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Southern California conference... 15
- Pornography addiction: another reason... 11
- Erin Stewart: Is free-range parenting... 8
- The U.S. could do much more for abused... 7
- The Clean Cut: New BMW i3 Super Bowl ad... 2
- From the Homefront: The good game:... 2
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and... 2