Book review: 'The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook' from the America's Test Kitchen
Editor's note: This is one of several cookbooks and other informational books that cater to specific medical issues have crossed our desks recently. While books like these can help supplement a diet or treatment, they should be coupled with the advice of medical professionals.
"The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook" is the ideal kitchen guide for those looking to make non-gluten versions of their favorite comfort foods.
This cookbook focuses on re-creating basic and popular recipes that usually require large amounts of wheat flour, which is the main source of gluten found in food.
Cakes, breads, pastas, breakfast foods, cookies and grains are all made possible through gluten substitutions that have been scientifically tested and proven to create a finished product that looks and tastes like the “real” thing.
The editors introduce gluten and how to eat without it and rate different brands of gluten-free products. They recommend only a few while cautioning against the majority. Many recipes call for the America’s Test Kitchen Gluten-Free Flour Blend — a mixture that includes products like brown rice flower and tapioca starch — to be used as a base ingredient.
Each recipe includes a detailed description of why this gluten-free version will yield success. Most recipes are basic and easy to follow, and a large, color photo accompanies each item.
This cookbook was written with a completely gluten-free lifestyle in mind, as many ingredients called for will not be found on the shelves of a typical household. Those who are stocking up on gluten substitutions for the first time can expect a fairly expensive grocery trip.
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Can you guess when these 17 animated Disney...
- There is no such thing as a bulletproof marriage
- Erin Stewart: Saying goodbye to a mommy era
- The problems grandparents face when...
- Sherry Young: Protecting our family in the...
- How to prevent cognitive decline related to...
- Maryland couple investigated again... 18
- BYU Cougarettes dance team wins... 9
- Erin Stewart: Saying goodbye to a mommy... 5
- Schooled by autism: 5 lessons from my... 3
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 3
- Ask Mr. Dad: How to handle stress of... 2
- Sherry Young: Protecting our family in... 2
- What causes do men care about? Kids and... 1