The Mormon Battalion left the Rio Grande on Nov. 13, 1846, and headed in a more westerly direction. As it approached what is now the border of Arizona, New Mexico and Mexico, it marched through a small geological feature known as Guadalupe Canyon.
Now on private property, it is hard to gain access to the canyon. However, the exact site was preserved for those interested in the history of the battalion, which included members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
The view seen here is east of Douglas, Arizona, in a barren region. As some people say, “Bugs won’t even live there!”