BYU basketball: Dalton Nixon opts to play for the 2014-15 season
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
OREM — BYU announced Monday that Orem High standout Dalton Nixon will play this season for coach Dave Rose after signing a letter of intent with the program last November.
Nixon previously planned on serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints before enrolling and had received his mission call to Boston.
According to Nixon, the decision was entirely his.
"I felt that it would be best for me to get a year under my belt before being away for two years," he said. "Coach Rose didn't push me to do this at all. The decision was mine and I feel it's the best thing for my own development and I'm excited to help the team where I can next season."
Nixon was a three-time first-team all-state honoree at Orem High School, playing for Golden Holt. As a senior, he averaged career highs of 20.2 points and 8.9 rebounds while leading the Tigers to an 18-9 record and a trip to the state championship game.
As a junior, Nixon led Orem to a 20-4 record while averaging 17.5 points and 8.2 rebounds. His sophomore season, Nixon was the 4A Tournament MVP as Orem won the state title and posted a 24-1 record. He averaged 12.5 points and 5.5 rebounds that season.
Nixon concluded his career as Orem’s all-time leading scorer with 1,367 points. He posted career averages of 14.0 points and 5.9 rebounds as a four-year letterman.
“Dalton will be a great addition to our roster,” Rose said. “He had a great high school career and won a lot of games. He’s very skilled and has good size. We’re excited to have him.”
Nixon will not count against the scholarship count next season, but will receive a scholarship following his mission service. He plans on leaving for a mission immediately following the coming basketball season.
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- High school basketball: Lone Peak, Murray,...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35