NBC, Adam Taylor/NBC
OREM — Orem's Center Stage dance studio once again is taking a role on a center stage.
The CS Junior Formation ballroom team competes Tuesday on "America's Got Talent" on NBC for a $1 million prize and the chance to perform at Radio City Music Hall.
They'll be judged by Howie Mandel, Heidi Klum, Howard Stern and Mel Brown on ability, showmanship and execution. The finalist will be chosen by the viewing public.
The team is made up of 14 dancers from ages 12-17 who train under the tutelage of Kim DelGrosso, whose daughter Ashly made headlines on "Dancing With the Stars" in recent years.
DelGrosso said this group won the national competition held at Brigham Young University in March 2014.
"These kids really are the most talented kids I've seen," DelGrosso said. "These are extremely gifted dancers."
The group was contacted about being on the television show and then had about 10 days to get a routine ready, DelGrosso said.
Alexis Warr, one of the dance captains, said it was really hard "but so worth it at the end" to put together the show for "America's Got Talent."
"I am very proud of the team," Warr said.
Warr said she started into dance at the age of 6 in jazz and ballet, switching over to ballroom last year: "Now I'm cross-training," she said.
Warr said the ballroom team has an edge because most of the team members are trained in ballet and have competed in ballroom events.
"We know to do facial expressions," Warr said. "I think that our team is very unique. We've all dance together. We all inspire each other. We know we have to be precise and cooperate and think about timing."
DelGrosso's daughter Afton is the team's director and choreographer.
If you watch:
What: "America's Got Talent"
Where: NBC, Ch. 5
When: 7-9 p.m., Tuesday, June 3
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Do we really need milk?
- Your triplets just got even more special
- The Clean Cut: Christian musician releases...
- Terminating parental rights: State policies...
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for the Star...
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- 'Biggest Losers' show why we regain lost weight
- Do we really need milk? 21
- After more than 6 years, 3 families... 12
- 'Biggest Losers' show why we regain... 6
- Crowdfund a divorce? Sites let you... 3
- Terminating parental rights: State... 2
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for... 2
- Two Utah men competing in St. George... 2
- The Clean Cut: Real Salt Lake goalie... 2