Balancing act: Training people to handle flexibility can help workers, companies
Furthermore, Yost wrote, 88 percent of the participants felt they more actively managed their work and personal responsibilities and goals; 81 percent said they were more likely to collaborate with others; and 73 percent said they were better able to gauge their capacity for all responsibilities.
Those are fairly positive results and the kind of numbers to which corporations should pay attention.
In tough economic times, I'm sure many CEOs and managers ask why they should make an effort on this kind of training when they're struggling just to keep their employees motivated and on-task from week to week. But I would argue that offering flexibility — and making sure workers are ready to handle it — is the kind of thing that builds the energy and focus companies need these days.
After all, the survey showed that 85 percent of respondents believe employee loyalty, health and performance suffer in workplaces that don't offer work-life flexibility.
Especially in times of ever-increasing workloads, that's a statistic companies can't afford to ignore.
"Everyone is having to do more with less, and I am not sure that's going to change anytime soon," Yost wrote in her email. "However, it's important to note that, according to our research, when people received training or guidance on how to manage their flexibility, their personal sense of control over their flexibility increased.
"Right now, only 40 percent of respondents said they were getting any kind of 'how-to' support, which could account for why people feel so overwhelmed. It's not just workload; it's how work and everything else fits together."
And that's the bottom line. Everyone seems busy and stressed these days, whether at work or at home. If a business can help its employees manage those challenges, it will have the kind of happy, productive workers it needs to succeed in today's economy.
It sounds trite, but in such a situation, it's possible for everyone to win. And that's what building work-life balance should be all about.
- How much is your diploma worth? Money...
- Why you must teach your children about money
- 5 ways to save money, improve quality of life...
- 25 states with the lowest levels of personal...
- 9 startup companies perfect for your family
- Who’s the boss of your finances?
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Things are looking up in the economy, but not...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 13
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529... 8
- How much is your diploma worth? Money... 8
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 5
- Consumer index climbs to record level... 4
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 2
- $1,000 Sovaldi now hepatitis treatment... 2