"Moms' Night Out," a comedy about a group of mothers attempting to have a night out sans kids, has been under fire by critics who call the movie "depressingly regressive and utterly dangerous," according to Christy Lemire.
Co-director Jon Erwin, a self-proclaimed conservative Christian, first received a lot of positive feedback at a pre-screening.
“We heard over and over again moms love it,” he told The Blaze. “They said it was their story.”
Shortly after the film's release, many critics reported it to be anti-feminist, claiming it sent a message that a woman's place was only in the home.
Erwin told The Blaze that the film's protagonist, Allyson, never says all moms should stay at home with their kids.
"The movie features a single mom, a full-time working mom — and they support and encourage people throughout the film,” Erwin said.
Travis Agnew, a pastor in South Carolina, calls critics' statements "ironic," affirming that the women in the show are exercising their rights by choosing to either stay home or work.
"It is purely a travesty when we humiliate, disregard and criticize the women that are nurturing children not because they have to but because they get to," Agnew wrote on his website.
Agnew said he respected woman who worked outside the home, but he also wanted to give credit to his wife and all the other stay-at-home moms.
Fox News reported that professional critics rated the movie 15 percent, while audience members rated it 86 percent.
Megan Marsden Christensen is an intern with the Deseret News, writing for the Faith & Family section. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite again for...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- 42 ways to make your kids feel absolutely loved
- Woman's happiness most important to having a...
- 11 movies to watch out for this fall
- The changing definition of 'TV': What parents...
- The Clean Cut: Baby bear does circus act on...
- 4 financial follies of the millennial generation
- The economy has begun to recover, but... 23
- 4 financial follies of the millennial... 12
- How the prince charming fallacy is... 11
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 11
- Things that changed my view of marriage... 9
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Cincinnati Bengals sign injured player... 7
- 42 ways to make your kids feel... 7