As a Latter-day Saint I am asked, "Are you going on a mission?" I reply “I don't really feel like that's right for me,” the response is a disappointed face or people don't know how to reply.
Living in Utah as a Mormon isn't always easy; people expect a lot from you. In October 2012, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints changed the age for young women to go on a mission at 19. People expect since the age changed that girls should be going on missions as well. The church has said "it is encouraged but not required." A mission is a hard thing, especially since you leave your family and life that you know for 18 months to 2 years. It is requiring a lot from the girls in the church. It is time for people to stop shaming girls who don't want to go on missions, it is for the better and it isn't required of us.
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood... 53
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass 49
- Letter: Erratic protests 31
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics... 24
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23
- Letter: Proper priority 23