As a Latter-day Saint I am asked, "Are you going on a mission?" I reply “I don't really feel like that's right for me,” the response is a disappointed face or people don't know how to reply.
Living in Utah as a Mormon isn't always easy; people expect a lot from you. In October 2012, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints changed the age for young women to go on a mission at 19. People expect since the age changed that girls should be going on missions as well. The church has said "it is encouraged but not required." A mission is a hard thing, especially since you leave your family and life that you know for 18 months to 2 years. It is requiring a lot from the girls in the church. It is time for people to stop shaming girls who don't want to go on missions, it is for the better and it isn't required of us.
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 107
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 50
- In our opinion: History will remember... 46
- Letter: Breeding hate 44
- Letter: Policy disagreement 43
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 41