2 Tooele County crashes linked to alleged drunk driver
TOOELE — Utah Highway Patrol troopers are investigating two crashes Saturday night, one of which was caused by a suspected drunk driver.
At 9:08 p.m. Saturday, dispatchers received calls about a driver who was speeding and weaving in and out of traffic on state Route 36 in the Lake Point area near I-80. Before troopers located him, the driver struck a minivan, causing it to roll several times, said UHP spokesman Jesse Valenzuela.
Both the driver of the minivan and a front seat passenger were ejected from the vehicle.
The driver who hit the minivan fled from the accident on foot but was apprehended by UHP trooper Roger Daniels on a nearby freeway off-ramp.
"He was so intoxicated and sick, he got sick in the back of the trooper's car as they were taking him over to the Tooele Country Jail. He had no ID on him and he wasn’t able to answer any of their questions," Valenzuela said.
As traffic began to slow down in the area, a second crash occurred near the initial scene that caused all lanes of traffic to be blocked for an hour. A woman, going at highway speeds, rear-ended a truck that was stopped ahead of her. Investigators said the women was driving with a revoked license.
Two medical helicopters were called but just one victim, who was ejected from the van, was transported to a local hospital in serious condition.
Valenzuela said troopers had not yet identified the drunk driver because he was not cooperating with officers Saturday night.
Email: email@example.com , Twitter: MirandaCollette
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 44
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 29
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22