Utah State track and field wraps up competition at NCAA Championship first round
Utah State’s men's and women’s track and field teams put forth a solid effort to wrap up action during the third and final day at the NCAA Championship first found Saturday in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
The Aggies’ men’s 4x100-meter relay team, consisting of sophomore Parker Bluth, junior Nic Bowens and seniors Silas Pimentel and Jacob Bautista Jr., narrowly missed qualifying for the NCAA Finals after placing 14th with a time of 40.15 in the preliminary race, just two spots shy of qualifying position.
Bowens was the top individual finisher for Utah State, taking 15th in the 200-meter quarterfinals with a time of 20.85. Sophomore Kevin Allen was the other male Aggie in action, garnering 39th in the discus preliminaries after recording a toss of 51.43 meters (168-08).
On the women’s side, junior Melanie Heslop finished 24th in the hammer throw preliminaries with a heave of 55.10 meters (180-09), and senior Keeley Eldredge grabbed 26th after recording a mark of 55.01 meters (180-05). Additionally, junior Rachel Orr tied for 25th in the high jump preliminaries after clearing 1.72 meters (5-07.75), while junior Chari Hawkins failed to clear a height.
Utah State will be represented by Nic Bowens and Chari Hawkins at the NCAA Championship Finals in Eugene, Oregon, June 11-14. Bowens advanced in the 100 meters, while Hawkins qualified in the heptathlon.
Fans can follow Utah State athletics, including Aggie track and field and cross-country, at http://twitter.com/USUAthletics on Instagram at http://instagram.com/USUAthletics or on Facebook at http://facebook.com/USUAthletics.
UTAH STATE RESULTS
NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP FIRST ROUND
MAY 31, 2014
200m (quarterfinals) — 15. Nic Bowens, 20.85
Utah State Athletic Media Relations
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 103
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 66
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 46
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 36
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 31