Utah State track and field wraps up competition at NCAA Championship first round
Utah State’s men's and women’s track and field teams put forth a solid effort to wrap up action during the third and final day at the NCAA Championship first found Saturday in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
The Aggies’ men’s 4x100-meter relay team, consisting of sophomore Parker Bluth, junior Nic Bowens and seniors Silas Pimentel and Jacob Bautista Jr., narrowly missed qualifying for the NCAA Finals after placing 14th with a time of 40.15 in the preliminary race, just two spots shy of qualifying position.
Bowens was the top individual finisher for Utah State, taking 15th in the 200-meter quarterfinals with a time of 20.85. Sophomore Kevin Allen was the other male Aggie in action, garnering 39th in the discus preliminaries after recording a toss of 51.43 meters (168-08).
On the women’s side, junior Melanie Heslop finished 24th in the hammer throw preliminaries with a heave of 55.10 meters (180-09), and senior Keeley Eldredge grabbed 26th after recording a mark of 55.01 meters (180-05). Additionally, junior Rachel Orr tied for 25th in the high jump preliminaries after clearing 1.72 meters (5-07.75), while junior Chari Hawkins failed to clear a height.
Utah State will be represented by Nic Bowens and Chari Hawkins at the NCAA Championship Finals in Eugene, Oregon, June 11-14. Bowens advanced in the 100 meters, while Hawkins qualified in the heptathlon.
Fans can follow Utah State athletics, including Aggie track and field and cross-country, at http://twitter.com/USUAthletics on Instagram at http://instagram.com/USUAthletics or on Facebook at http://facebook.com/USUAthletics.
UTAH STATE RESULTS
NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP FIRST ROUND
MAY 31, 2014
200m (quarterfinals) — 15. Nic Bowens, 20.85
Utah State Athletic Media Relations
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25