Nic Bowens qualifies for NCAA finals in 100 meters at second day of NCAA Championships
Junior Nic Bowens finished 10th overall in the 100 meter quarterfinals with a time of 10.21 to advance to the NCAA Finals here Friday at the NCAA Championship First Round in Fayetteville, Ark.
Bowens also qualified for the quarterfinals in the 200 meter with a time of 20.95, good for 14th. The top-12 sprinters in the quarterfinals Saturday will advance to the NCAA Finals in Eugene, Ore.
The top finisher on the women’s side was junior Brittany Bushman, who placed 35th in the 3,000m Steeplechase prelims with a time of 10:40.74. Senior Sam Nielson took 39th in the triple jump preliminaries after recording a mark of 11.68m (38-04.00) and junior Chari Hawkins finished the 100 meter hurdles prelims with a time of 14.12, good for 40th.
For the Aggie men, freshman Colby Wilson grabbed 17th in the 3,000m steeplechase preliminaries with a personal-record time of 8:56.00. Additionally, senior Silas Pimentel garnered 31st in the 200m prelims, crossing the finish line in 21.33.
Fans can follow Utah State Athletics, including Aggie track & field and cross country, at http://twitter.com/USUAthletics on Instagram at http://instagram.com/USUAthletics or on Facebook at http://facebook.com/USUAthletics.
UTAH STATE RESULTS
NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP, FIRST ROUND
MAY 30, 2014
100m Hurdles (prelims): 40. Chari Hawkins, 14.12
3,000m Steeplechase (prelims): 35. Brittany Bushman, 10:40.74
Triple Jump (prelims): 39. Sam Nielson, 11.68m (38-04.00)
100m (quarterfinals): 10. Nic Bowens, 10.21q
3,000m Steeplechase (prelims) – 36. Eric Shellhorn, 3:49.06
Utah State Athletic Media Relations
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 112
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 64
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 30
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 23
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 20
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8