Utah Jazz to give Bulls assistant Adrian Griffin a second interview for head coach opening
Morry Gash, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — As previously reported, Adrian Griffin is on the short list of candidates still in consideration for the Utah Jazz’s head coach position.
Not only that, but the Bulls assistant coach has impressed Jazz brass enough to merit a second interview, a source confirmed.
Even while Quin Snyder has emerged as one of the lead candidates, a source told the Deseret News that Griffin has “a very, very good shot” of being named as Tyrone Corbin’s replacement.
Others still being considered for the job include former University of Utah coach Jim Boylen and longtime NBA coach Alvin Gentry. Some reports have tied European coach Ettore Messina and former Memphis coach Lionel Hollins to the Jazz. It’s also quite possible there are other candidates still being considered by the franchise, which prefers to conduct its business in secret.
On Friday, Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey admitted that he is impressed with the pool of candidates and that he’ll need help from his management/ownership team to make the final hire. Lindsey told 1280 The Zone, “Literally everybody I speak face to face (with), I could see them in the seat.”
The 39-year-old Griffin played for five different NBA teams during a career that spanned from 1999-2008.
Since then, Griffin has worked as an assistant coach under Scott Skiles at Milwaukee and, most recently, with Tom Thibodeau in Chicago (2010-14).
Snyder, a four-time NBA assistant coach and former Missouri bench boss, is considered to be "very high" on the Jazz's final list, as has been reported. Another source said it's "very plausible" the ex-Duke point guard and assistant could be hired by the Jazz.
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20