Utah Jazz to give Bulls assistant Adrian Griffin a second interview for head coach opening
Morry Gash, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — As previously reported, Adrian Griffin is on the short list of candidates still in consideration for the Utah Jazz’s head coach position.
Not only that, but the Bulls assistant coach has impressed Jazz brass enough to merit a second interview, a source confirmed.
Even while Quin Snyder has emerged as one of the lead candidates, a source told the Deseret News that Griffin has “a very, very good shot” of being named as Tyrone Corbin’s replacement.
Others still being considered for the job include former University of Utah coach Jim Boylen and longtime NBA coach Alvin Gentry. Some reports have tied European coach Ettore Messina and former Memphis coach Lionel Hollins to the Jazz. It’s also quite possible there are other candidates still being considered by the franchise, which prefers to conduct its business in secret.
On Friday, Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey admitted that he is impressed with the pool of candidates and that he’ll need help from his management/ownership team to make the final hire. Lindsey told 1280 The Zone, “Literally everybody I speak face to face (with), I could see them in the seat.”
The 39-year-old Griffin played for five different NBA teams during a career that spanned from 1999-2008.
Since then, Griffin has worked as an assistant coach under Scott Skiles at Milwaukee and, most recently, with Tom Thibodeau in Chicago (2010-14).
Snyder, a four-time NBA assistant coach and former Missouri bench boss, is considered to be "very high" on the Jazz's final list, as has been reported. Another source said it's "very plausible" the ex-Duke point guard and assistant could be hired by the Jazz.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27