Bike ride through Utah County honors Sgt. Cory Wride
Mike DeBarnardo, Deseret News
SPRINGVILLE — It's easy to judge them. The leather jackets, leather gloves, spiky helmets.
If you only knew, though, what this particular group of bikers was all about, and why more than 100 of them were in line riding the roads of Utah County Saturday.
"I think a lot of people, they think of motorcyclists as bad people sometimes, and they're not at all," said Nanette Wride, who joined the bikers on their ride by hopping in the backseat of the lead motorcycle.
Nanette Wride has always loved motorcycles, but her true love is her husband, Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Cory Wride, who was killed in the line of duty this past January.
Saturday’s bike ride through Utah County was to honor and remember him.
"To have people remember is so amazing, because I know I can count on them to help fill that void,” said Wride. “As a family, we're always afraid people will forget, you know, because he paid the ultimate sacrifice, and every day we pay that price because we wake up and don't have him there."
The bikers met in Springville, picked the Wride family up at a church near their home, then went to the Spanish Fork cemetery, where Wride is buried.
At the cemetery, Spanish Fork Mayor Steve Leifson presented Nanette Wride with a limited edition print of the “American Highrise” picture signed by artist Richard Clark.
They also traveled to other places in Utah County and to Eureka in Juab County.
"For me, it's just an honor to do anything like this to help remember and memorialize our fallen heroes,” said Randy “Jake” Patton, the ride organizer. “I know Memorial Day was last weekend, but it’s important to remember our brave men and women every day. Do it every day. Guys just don’t die on Memorial Day.”
For Wride, Saturday’s bike trek through the county was a chance for her to just enjoy the day.
"Today is a fun day. I love motorcycles. I'm going to be giggling the whole time," she said.
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Utah is youngest state in country but growing...
- Utah man building Disneyland out of Legos...
- America’s Most Followed Members of...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a...
- Fruit Heights to shut off water system...
- Kaysville to fete retiring city manager at...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 32
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Utah militia leader tried to blow up... 17