Bike ride through Utah County honors Sgt. Cory Wride
Mike DeBarnardo, Deseret News
SPRINGVILLE — It's easy to judge them. The leather jackets, leather gloves, spiky helmets.
If you only knew, though, what this particular group of bikers was all about, and why more than 100 of them were in line riding the roads of Utah County Saturday.
"I think a lot of people, they think of motorcyclists as bad people sometimes, and they're not at all," said Nanette Wride, who joined the bikers on their ride by hopping in the backseat of the lead motorcycle.
Nanette Wride has always loved motorcycles, but her true love is her husband, Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Cory Wride, who was killed in the line of duty this past January.
Saturday’s bike ride through Utah County was to honor and remember him.
"To have people remember is so amazing, because I know I can count on them to help fill that void,” said Wride. “As a family, we're always afraid people will forget, you know, because he paid the ultimate sacrifice, and every day we pay that price because we wake up and don't have him there."
The bikers met in Springville, picked the Wride family up at a church near their home, then went to the Spanish Fork cemetery, where Wride is buried.
At the cemetery, Spanish Fork Mayor Steve Leifson presented Nanette Wride with a limited edition print of the “American Highrise” picture signed by artist Richard Clark.
They also traveled to other places in Utah County and to Eureka in Juab County.
"For me, it's just an honor to do anything like this to help remember and memorialize our fallen heroes,” said Randy “Jake” Patton, the ride organizer. “I know Memorial Day was last weekend, but it’s important to remember our brave men and women every day. Do it every day. Guys just don’t die on Memorial Day.”
For Wride, Saturday’s bike trek through the county was a chance for her to just enjoy the day.
"Today is a fun day. I love motorcycles. I'm going to be giggling the whole time," she said.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of...
- Mirror Lake Shoreline Trail closed through...
- I-15 in Weber County to close Wednesday,...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14