Bowens qualifies for 100m quarterfinals on Day One of NCAA Championship First Round
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Junior Nic Bowens won his heat and placed eighth overall in the 100m prelims with a time of 10.28 seconds to qualify for the quarterfinals as the Aggies completed their first day Thursday at the NCAA Championship First Round.
In the women's javelin prelims, senior Kaylee Hartshorn placed 32nd with a throw of 43.32m (142 feet, 1 inch) and freshman Mia Estes finished 36th after recording a distance of 42.81m (140-05.00). Junior Chari Hawkins took 40th in the long jump preliminaries, recording a leap of 5.61m (18-05.00). Senior Kylie Ross garnered 45th in the 400m hurdles prelims, crossing the finish line with a time of 1:02.24.
On the men's side, sophomore Cole Lambourne narrowly missed qualifying for the quarterfinals in the 400m preliminaries after finishing 25th with a time of 47.08, one-hundredth of a second off of qualifying position. In the 100m prelims, sophomore Parker Bluth garnered 28th and senior Silas Pimentel took 29th with times of 10.59 and 10.60, respectively.
Additionally, junior Eric Shellhorn finished 36th in the 1,500m prelims with a personal-best time of 3:49.06 and senior Bryce Hall placed 38th in the shot put preliminaries with a heave of 16.63m (54-06.75).
Competition in Fayetteville resumes Friday at 9 a.m. (MT) with the men's hammer throw. The Aggies' first action will begin at 4 p.m. when senior Sam Nielson competes in the women's triple jump.
Fans can follow Utah State Athletics, including Aggie track & field and cross country, at http://twitter.com/USUAthletics on Instagram at http://instagram.com/USUAthletics or on Facebook at http://facebook.com/USUAthletics.
UTAH STATE RESULTS
NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP, FIRST ROUND
MAY 29, 2014
400m Hurdles (prelims) - 45. Kylie Ross, 1:02.24
Long Jump (prelims) - 40. Chari Hawkins, 5.61m (18-05.00)
400m (prelims) - 25. Cole Lambourne, 47.08
1,500m (prelims) - 36. Eric Shellhorn, 3:49.06
Shot Put (prelims) - 38. Bryce Hall, 16.63m (54-06.75)
Utah State Athletic Media Relations
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Photo gallery: BYU spring football scrimmage...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- Randy Hollis: Utes' men's hoops program is...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19
- Randy Hollis: Utes' men's hoops program... 13