Former Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin to interview for assistant job in Sacramento
Matt Gade, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Tyrone Corbin might not be out of a job for long.
The former Utah Jazz head coach is in the "very early stages" of the interview process to become an assistant under Michael Malone with an "interested" Sacramento Kings organization, a source confirmed to the Deseret News.
Corbin was informed in April by the Jazz that his coaching contract would not be renewed after the conclusion of Utah's 25-57 season. Corbin had spent the past 10 years with the Jazz in various coaching capacities, including in his position as head coach the past three-and-a-half seasons.
After taking over for Sloan during the middle of the 2010-11 season, Corbin guided the Jazz to a 112-146 record in oft-difficult circumstances. The highlight of Corbin's coaching career in Utah came in the 2012 lockout season when he led the Jazz to the playoffs.
Corbin has spoken highly of Sacramento and its fans over the years. The 51-year-old played for the Kings in 1995-96 and again in 2000-01 during his 16-year NBA career.
"It’s a tremendous city," Corbin said when news came out that Sacramento would keep the Kings. "They’ve always done a great job supporting the NBA team, even in years when the team wasn’t very good."
Yahoo! Sports' Marc Spears first reported that Corbin is expected to be interviewed by Sacramento.
Corbin spent seven seasons as an assistant on Sloan's staff, beginning in 2004. He'd worked the previous year with the New York Knicks on their player development staff.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19