SANDY — Canyons Education Association members voted Tuesday to approve a new teacher contract for 2014-2015.
The Canyons Board of Education approved the proposed contract agreement that increases teacher compensation by $4.25 million in a public meeting.
The new elementary school schedule establishes consistent daily instructional time five days per week. It also redistributes time in the regular workday for teachers to plan individually and in teams.
The schedule allows teachers time to give special attention to each student’s achievement and adjust their lessons to ensure that all students succeed, according to a news release from the district.
The new schedule also includes seven early out Fridays to give teachers time for professional development: Sept. 26, Oct. 24, Dec. 5, Jan. 30, Feb. 20, March 27 and April 24.
The contract also includes step and lane increases for all licensed educators; 0.25 percent cost of living adjustment increase in the base salary schedule; two additional paid days, equivalent to a 1 percent COLA, for teacher work time — contract days increased from 184 to 186 contract days for classroom teachers.
Additionally, there will be no health insurance premium increase unless loss ratio reaches 105 percent (to be determined by the Insurance Committee), and educators with more than 180 sick leave days may elect to receive a payout for up to five days annually at the rate of $100 for each day. Educators must maintain the number of days required to receive the payout if eligible.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 50
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 45
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 17
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7