HANKSVILLE, Wayne County — The Bureau of Land Management Utah Henry Mountain Field Station is partnering with the Burpee Museum of Rockford, Illinois, to conduct free guided tours at the Hanksville-Burpee Dinosaur Quarry.
Daily tours for the public began Thursday and run through June 7. No tours will be offered on Sunday, June 1.
Paleontologists from the Burpee Museum will lead tours, discuss current and past excavations, and answer all sorts of dinosaur questions. Three 45-minute tours will be offered every day at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Tours are limited to 25 people and are given on a first come, first-served basis. They will only be conducted in favorable weather. Brochures and informational pamphlets are available on-site and may also be used for self-guided tours.
This summer marks the seventh season that the BLM and the Burpee Museum have partnered to excavate the site. The excavations support long-term research initiatives, provide public interpretive access, and deliver educational and recreational opportunities.
The quarry contains the fossilized remains of multiple dinosaur skeletons, animal burrows and large petrified tree trunks. To date, the quarry has yielded long-necked sauropods, carnivorous dinosaurs and a herbivorous stegosaurus.
The Hanksville-Burpee Dinosaur Quarry site is located approximately 10 miles northwest of Hanksville and is about a 30-minute drive on state Route 24. High clearance vehicles are recommended as the road into the quarry is not maintained for passenger cars.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 23
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14