HANKSVILLE, Wayne County — The Bureau of Land Management Utah Henry Mountain Field Station is partnering with the Burpee Museum of Rockford, Illinois, to conduct free guided tours at the Hanksville-Burpee Dinosaur Quarry.
Daily tours for the public began Thursday and run through June 7. No tours will be offered on Sunday, June 1.
Paleontologists from the Burpee Museum will lead tours, discuss current and past excavations, and answer all sorts of dinosaur questions. Three 45-minute tours will be offered every day at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Tours are limited to 25 people and are given on a first come, first-served basis. They will only be conducted in favorable weather. Brochures and informational pamphlets are available on-site and may also be used for self-guided tours.
This summer marks the seventh season that the BLM and the Burpee Museum have partnered to excavate the site. The excavations support long-term research initiatives, provide public interpretive access, and deliver educational and recreational opportunities.
The quarry contains the fossilized remains of multiple dinosaur skeletons, animal burrows and large petrified tree trunks. To date, the quarry has yielded long-necked sauropods, carnivorous dinosaurs and a herbivorous stegosaurus.
The Hanksville-Burpee Dinosaur Quarry site is located approximately 10 miles northwest of Hanksville and is about a 30-minute drive on state Route 24. High clearance vehicles are recommended as the road into the quarry is not maintained for passenger cars.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 85
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 27
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 25
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16