HANKSVILLE, Wayne County — The Bureau of Land Management Utah Henry Mountain Field Station is partnering with the Burpee Museum of Rockford, Illinois, to conduct free guided tours at the Hanksville-Burpee Dinosaur Quarry.
Daily tours for the public began Thursday and run through June 7. No tours will be offered on Sunday, June 1.
Paleontologists from the Burpee Museum will lead tours, discuss current and past excavations, and answer all sorts of dinosaur questions. Three 45-minute tours will be offered every day at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Tours are limited to 25 people and are given on a first come, first-served basis. They will only be conducted in favorable weather. Brochures and informational pamphlets are available on-site and may also be used for self-guided tours.
This summer marks the seventh season that the BLM and the Burpee Museum have partnered to excavate the site. The excavations support long-term research initiatives, provide public interpretive access, and deliver educational and recreational opportunities.
The quarry contains the fossilized remains of multiple dinosaur skeletons, animal burrows and large petrified tree trunks. To date, the quarry has yielded long-necked sauropods, carnivorous dinosaurs and a herbivorous stegosaurus.
The Hanksville-Burpee Dinosaur Quarry site is located approximately 10 miles northwest of Hanksville and is about a 30-minute drive on state Route 24. High clearance vehicles are recommended as the road into the quarry is not maintained for passenger cars.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 33
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11