LeVar Burton raises 1 million dollars in 11 hours for 'Reading Rainbow' comeback
Just 11 hours after announcing his Kickstarter campaign, "Reading Rainbow" host LeVar Burton reached his goal of raising 1 million dollars to bring the show to the Internet and classrooms.
Burton aimed to raise 1 million dollars in 35 days, and now, two days later, nearly $3,000,000 has been donated to "bring 'Reading Rainbow' back for every child, everywhere," according to Kickstarter.
"I am overwhelmed, thank you so much. This is going to enable us to really do a lot of good," Burton said in his reaction video.
While the campaign has been successful, Washington Post reporter Caitlin Dewey addressed the skepticism people feel toward the "high-profile" Kickstarter campaigns.
"Crowdfunding is theoretically supposed to bolster charities, start-ups, independent artists, small-business owners and other projects that actually need the financial support of the masses to succeed. It’s not supposed to be co-opted by companies with profit motives and private investors of their own ... which, despite Burton’s charisma, is exactly what the Rainbow reboot is," Dewey wrote.
Although some are skeptical of Burton's motives, many remain supportive.
"I swear to you, this Reading Rainbow Kickstarter is restoring my faith in humanity," Twitter user @Sauniell wrote.
Megan Marsden Christensen is an intern with the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- Over and out: TV flops, exits and endings in...
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- Some communities suggest penalizing parents...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 7
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 4
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders... 2