LeVar Burton raises 1 million dollars in 11 hours for 'Reading Rainbow' comeback
Just 11 hours after announcing his Kickstarter campaign, "Reading Rainbow" host LeVar Burton reached his goal of raising 1 million dollars to bring the show to the Internet and classrooms.
Burton aimed to raise 1 million dollars in 35 days, and now, two days later, nearly $3,000,000 has been donated to "bring 'Reading Rainbow' back for every child, everywhere," according to Kickstarter.
"I am overwhelmed, thank you so much. This is going to enable us to really do a lot of good," Burton said in his reaction video.
While the campaign has been successful, Washington Post reporter Caitlin Dewey addressed the skepticism people feel toward the "high-profile" Kickstarter campaigns.
"Crowdfunding is theoretically supposed to bolster charities, start-ups, independent artists, small-business owners and other projects that actually need the financial support of the masses to succeed. It’s not supposed to be co-opted by companies with profit motives and private investors of their own ... which, despite Burton’s charisma, is exactly what the Rainbow reboot is," Dewey wrote.
Although some are skeptical of Burton's motives, many remain supportive.
"I swear to you, this Reading Rainbow Kickstarter is restoring my faith in humanity," Twitter user @Sauniell wrote.
Megan Marsden Christensen is an intern with the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- A simple way to know that you're with the...
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Does an American child really go missing...
- The one joke we make about love may actually...
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 47
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too... 18
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- Does an American child really go... 3
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 3
- 1 in 7 Americans has this kind of marriage 2
- The one joke we make about love may... 2