LeVar Burton raises 1 million dollars in 11 hours for 'Reading Rainbow' comeback
Just 11 hours after announcing his Kickstarter campaign, "Reading Rainbow" host LeVar Burton reached his goal of raising 1 million dollars to bring the show to the Internet and classrooms.
Burton aimed to raise 1 million dollars in 35 days, and now, two days later, nearly $3,000,000 has been donated to "bring 'Reading Rainbow' back for every child, everywhere," according to Kickstarter.
"I am overwhelmed, thank you so much. This is going to enable us to really do a lot of good," Burton said in his reaction video.
While the campaign has been successful, Washington Post reporter Caitlin Dewey addressed the skepticism people feel toward the "high-profile" Kickstarter campaigns.
"Crowdfunding is theoretically supposed to bolster charities, start-ups, independent artists, small-business owners and other projects that actually need the financial support of the masses to succeed. It’s not supposed to be co-opted by companies with profit motives and private investors of their own ... which, despite Burton’s charisma, is exactly what the Rainbow reboot is," Dewey wrote.
Although some are skeptical of Burton's motives, many remain supportive.
"I swear to you, this Reading Rainbow Kickstarter is restoring my faith in humanity," Twitter user @Sauniell wrote.
Megan Marsden Christensen is an intern with the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Want your marriage to last? Have another child
- U.S. kids react — hilariously —...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- The Clean Cut: Children taste dark chocolate...
- UTubers: Al Fox Carraway talks about...
- 13-year-old keeps dad alive after he was...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 15
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 12
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 9
- Parents using infertility treatment to... 7
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 5
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 3