LeVar Burton raises 1 million dollars in 11 hours for 'Reading Rainbow' comeback
Just 11 hours after announcing his Kickstarter campaign, "Reading Rainbow" host LeVar Burton reached his goal of raising 1 million dollars to bring the show to the Internet and classrooms.
Burton aimed to raise 1 million dollars in 35 days, and now, two days later, nearly $3,000,000 has been donated to "bring 'Reading Rainbow' back for every child, everywhere," according to Kickstarter.
"I am overwhelmed, thank you so much. This is going to enable us to really do a lot of good," Burton said in his reaction video.
While the campaign has been successful, Washington Post reporter Caitlin Dewey addressed the skepticism people feel toward the "high-profile" Kickstarter campaigns.
"Crowdfunding is theoretically supposed to bolster charities, start-ups, independent artists, small-business owners and other projects that actually need the financial support of the masses to succeed. It’s not supposed to be co-opted by companies with profit motives and private investors of their own ... which, despite Burton’s charisma, is exactly what the Rainbow reboot is," Dewey wrote.
Although some are skeptical of Burton's motives, many remain supportive.
"I swear to you, this Reading Rainbow Kickstarter is restoring my faith in humanity," Twitter user @Sauniell wrote.
Megan Marsden Christensen is an intern with the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- Piano Guys, David Archuleta, 'Nutcracker':...
- 4 unexpected health risks of smartphone use
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and Idina...
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says family...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 34
- Brittany Maynard, right-to-die voice,... 6
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3
- The Clean Cut: Magic of Disney's... 3
- Sherry Young: When the scruffy look is... 3
- This new video game shows that there is... 3
- Minivans do poorly in new crash tests 2
- How will the NFL respond to domestic... 2