Vietnam gives local LDS leaders official recognition, legal status
"It was a huge privilege to go on a mission and speak Vietnamese," he said.
Nguyen was delighted by the government's recognition of the LDS committee.
"I was really excited today," he said. "I didn't think it would happen any time soon."
Elder Todd Tran's father also embraced the news from his native country.
"I think it's great the government is giving the church an opportunity to be in Vietnam and to serve and share the gospel with the people," Thao Tran said. "The church has a long record of humanitarian service in Vietnam, and I think the government appreciates that, and that the church follows the law."
Thao Tran said annual visits by Vietnamese government officials to the international law and religion symposium at BYU have provided those officials with firsthand opportunities to learn about the church in Utah.
The president of the church's Hanoi district, Hoang Van Tung, will chair the government-approved Interim Representative Committee. He will be joined by the two LDS branch presidents in Ho Chi Minh City.
Tung said the church is committed to following Vietnam's religious activity laws, according to the release.
He also said future announcements about what the recognition will mean for church members in Vietnam won't be made until additional details are finalized.
Pham Dung, chairman of the Vietnam government's Committee for Religious Affairs, presented the certification in a ceremony at the Hanoi LDS branch. He was joined by religious affairs committee members and other government officials.
- Pope embraces Al-Azhar imam in sign of...
- Church slaying families accept pursuit of...
- Text of Obama's speech at Hiroshima Peace...
- 11 Jewish congregations selected for...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod? Statue...
- LDS missionary who returned home early shares...
- United Methodist conference seen as confusing...
- LDS missionary who returned home early... 53
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 43
- Defending the Faith: Book of Mormon... 42
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod?... 23
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering... 17
- Elizabeth Smart picks BYU rape response... 15
- BYU's Ty Detmer discusses prayer,... 11