Lt. Travis Rees West Jordan PD, assault
WEST JORDAN — A panicked 911 call from a woman who said she was being held against her will led police to arrest a man early Friday.
Dispatchers received a call around 2:30 a.m. from a woman who said she was being held against her will but did not know where, according to West Jordan Police Lt. Travis Rees.
The call was quickly disconnected, but police traced the call to a neighborhood near 2100 West and 7125 South.
The woman called 911 again and said the man's name, according to police. The man, later identified as Patrick Yazzie, 49, has "a long history with police," and authorities knew where he lived, according to West Jordan police officer Randy Anglesey.
Officers responded to Yazzie's known residence and spotted a woman through a basement window whose clothes were partially torn off and who appeared to have been in a struggle, police said.
Officers attempted to contact Yazzie through the window, telling him to come outside, but he refused, Anglesey said.
Six to eight officers entered the home, sprayed the man with pepper spray and used a Taser on him, according to Rees.
The 42-year-old woman was taken to the hospital but was not seriously injured.
Investigators did not know Friday how long the woman was kept in the basement. The two were acquaintances of a couple of years, and the woman was at the man's home. Both were intoxicated, and it appeared the struggle began when the woman tried to leave, police said.
Yazzie was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of unlawful detention, sexual battery, domestic assault, intoxication and obstruction of justice, Anglesey said.
A search of court records indicates Yazzie was found guilty of criminal mischief in 2003. He also pleaded guilty to attempted robbery in 2000, driving under the influence in 1999, use or possession of drug paraphernalia in 1996, and numerous traffic violations.
Contributing: Haley Smith, Shara Park, Morgan Jacobsen
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: whitevs7
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14