Lt. Travis Rees West Jordan PD, assault
WEST JORDAN — A panicked 911 call from a woman who said she was being held against her will led police to arrest a man early Friday.
Dispatchers received a call around 2:30 a.m. from a woman who said she was being held against her will but did not know where, according to West Jordan Police Lt. Travis Rees.
The call was quickly disconnected, but police traced the call to a neighborhood near 2100 West and 7125 South.
The woman called 911 again and said the man's name, according to police. The man, later identified as Patrick Yazzie, 49, has "a long history with police," and authorities knew where he lived, according to West Jordan police officer Randy Anglesey.
Officers responded to Yazzie's known residence and spotted a woman through a basement window whose clothes were partially torn off and who appeared to have been in a struggle, police said.
Officers attempted to contact Yazzie through the window, telling him to come outside, but he refused, Anglesey said.
Six to eight officers entered the home, sprayed the man with pepper spray and used a Taser on him, according to Rees.
The 42-year-old woman was taken to the hospital but was not seriously injured.
Investigators did not know Friday how long the woman was kept in the basement. The two were acquaintances of a couple of years, and the woman was at the man's home. Both were intoxicated, and it appeared the struggle began when the woman tried to leave, police said.
Yazzie was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of unlawful detention, sexual battery, domestic assault, intoxication and obstruction of justice, Anglesey said.
A search of court records indicates Yazzie was found guilty of criminal mischief in 2003. He also pleaded guilty to attempted robbery in 2000, driving under the influence in 1999, use or possession of drug paraphernalia in 1996, and numerous traffic violations.
Contributing: Haley Smith, Shara Park, Morgan Jacobsen
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Hikers brave cold and wind instead of Black...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- New protocol to help domestic violence...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 10
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7