As a native of Utah, I have great memories of running the Deseret News 10K with my dad and siblings over 20 years ago. Since I will be visiting Utah on the 24th of July, I thought it would be a great reunion to run the race with my dad and introduce my husband to the race. I got online to register and couldn't believe how much it costs to run the 10K. We are just under two months away and it is now $44. Needless to say, we probably won't be running it this year, as we are spending a good amount of money to get to Utah. Even if we lived in Utah and registered early, it would still be cost-prohibitive.
I'd love my kids to run it to, but if we were to do it as a family, it would be almost $200. I know races cost money and I appreciate all that the Deseret News does to organize this historic race each year. But in an era when we are encouraging exercise and healthy living, the cost of running a race is too high.
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot 'progress'...
- My view: Medicaid will sting Beehive State's...
- Letter: Moral decline
- Letter: My sons
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Jay Evensen: U2's 'free' album highlights...
- Who likes Obama's ISIS plan, and who doesn't
- Letter: Moral decline 87
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 65
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 55
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 40
- My view: Government broadband spells... 28
- In our opinion: Revisiting racial... 25