As a native of Utah, I have great memories of running the Deseret News 10K with my dad and siblings over 20 years ago. Since I will be visiting Utah on the 24th of July, I thought it would be a great reunion to run the race with my dad and introduce my husband to the race. I got online to register and couldn't believe how much it costs to run the 10K. We are just under two months away and it is now $44. Needless to say, we probably won't be running it this year, as we are spending a good amount of money to get to Utah. Even if we lived in Utah and registered early, it would still be cost-prohibitive.
I'd love my kids to run it to, but if we were to do it as a family, it would be almost $200. I know races cost money and I appreciate all that the Deseret News does to organize this historic race each year. But in an era when we are encouraging exercise and healthy living, the cost of running a race is too high.
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- In our opinion: Dropouts face high risk of...
- My view: New treatment can cure Hepatitis C
- Letter: The Romneys' new center
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 150
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 71
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 53
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 38
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 29
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 28
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 27