UVU track: Lynch named to Capital One Academic All-District Team
Utah Valley University sophomore Jason Lynch has been named to the Capital One Academic All-District 8 Track and Field/Cross-Country Team. The team was announced Thursday and was selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).
Lynch, a mathematics major, holds a 3.82 GPA at UVU and was named academic all-WAC earlier this year. The native of Sandy, Utah, recently won the 10,000-meter run at the WAC Outdoor Championships with a time of 33:33.04. He also took fourth in the 5000 (15:25.69) and sixth in the 1500 (3:58.73) at the league championships that were held May 14-17, at UVU's Hal Wing Track and Field.
Lynch also had a strong cross-country campaign this past fall as he helped UVU to its first-ever WAC Championship by placing fifth overall at the 2013 WAC Cross-Country Championships with a time of 25:40.10. The Wolverine distance runner also earned a 67th-place finish at the NCAA Cross-Country Mountain Regional (31:23.10). He also placed fifth (15:18.87) and eighth (8:50.52), respectively, in the 5000 and 3000m runs at the WAC Indoor Championships in late February.
Lynch, who was the lone UVU track and field athlete to make the cut, joins BYU's Curtis Carr and Jason Witt; Utah State's Nic Bowens, Kyle McKenna and Eric Shellhorn; Fresno State's Daniel Vartanian; Loyola Marymount's Kevin Joerger; Santa Clara's Ben Demaree; UC Davis' Trevor Halsted; and Washington's A.J. Maricich on the NCAA Division I District 8 First Team.
By being named academic all-district, Lynch is now eligible for the Capital One Academic All-America Team. The NCAA Division I team will be announced in June.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 111
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 82
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29