Ty Higley returned to Boise, Idaho, after serving a two-year mission in Brazil for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Naturally, Higley encountered many changes upon his return but none as shocking as his father's weight loss.
When Ty Higley returned home this week to see his family, it wasn't until he turned around that he saw his father, Duane Higley, who had lost 140 pounds during his two-year mission. It was a moment KTVB.com was able to capture on film.
Although Ty Higley had limited communication with his family while serving, Duane Higley explained that it was still difficult to keep the news from his son.
"(On) Mother's Day we told him I was at a meeting when really I was there. I just didn't get in front of the camera because we didn't want to spoil it two weeks before he got home," Duane Higley said.
Email: email@example.com | Twitter: @Sarah_DNews
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 173
- Why I don’t call myself a... 96
- General Women's Session focuses on... 32
- State bills to protect religious... 23
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 17
- Taylor Halverson: Learning is becoming... 15
- Indiana Gov. Mike Pence: ‘Not... 13