So, should BYU go out of its way to play Alabama in 2015 even if there's no home-and-home agreement?
Of course, Holmoe is in the best position to make this decision because he knows the inside scoop. Holmoe could already have a big-name team scheduled for 2015 and he's just waiting for BYU's media day to announce it.
Or, it's possible that Alabama isn't as willing to play the Cougars as Fowler's article would make it appear. After all, Battle isn't the one who brought up BYU. Fowler did. Perhaps the Crimson Tide are trying to coax some other team into playing them by using this article.
But based on the facts we currently have, BYU should try to play Alabama in 2015.
The Cougars aren't going to get the chance to play teams such as the Crimson Tide every year, particularly given new scheduling rules. This is too big of an opportunity to let fall by the wayside.
The only way independence in college football will work for BYU in the long-term is if it can prove that it belongs with the big dogs. Admittedly, BYU would be a heavy underdog in Tuscaloosa, and it's unlikely the Cougars would be able to pull off the upset.
But can you imagine what kind of national attention BYU would receive if it shocked the Crimson Tide? 2015 could be the season of a lifetime if the Cougars were to take down Michigan, Nebraska and Alabama all in the same season.
Unlikely? That's an understatement. But why not try to swing for the fences?
All things considered, BYU should do what it can to play Alabama in 2015.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 64
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22