Report: Oregon Ducks quarterback Damion Hobbs transferring to Utah State
Damion Hobbs, a three-star quarterback recruit who spent the 2013 season redshirting at the University of Oregon, is reportedly transferring to Utah State.
The quarterback's high school football coach, Joey McGuire, tweeted Tuesday evening that Hobbs would be transferring to Utah State. CBS Sports, citing a report from Duck Territory, reported on May 17 that Hobbs would be transferring from Oregon.
No official word from Oregon or Utah State has confirmed the reports.
If the redshirt freshman Hobbs indeed heads to Utah State, he would have to sit out the 2014 season due to NCAA transfer rules. During the Ducks' spring game on May 3, Hobbs completed 5-of-9 passes for 71 yards and a 49-yard touchdown.
The Dallas Morning News reported that Hobbs, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound signal caller from Cedar Hill, Texas, had committed to play at Utah State before taking a recruiting trip to Oregon last year and changing his commitment. Hobbs had originally committed to play at Arkansas State before switching to Utah State, the News said.
Hobbs had several scholarship offers coming out of high school, including from places like Nebraska, Missouri and Oregon State, according to ESPN. His senior season at Cedar Hill, Hobbs threw for 2,769 yards and 29 touchdowns and rushed for 808 yards and 12 scores while leading his team to the 5A Division II state title game.
Utah State has five quarterbacks on its roster, including Houston native Chuckie Keeton and Darell Garretson. The dual threat Keeton is heading into his senior season after throwing for 5,961 yards and 56 touchdowns and rushing for 1,153 yards and 14 touchdowns in his Aggie career.
Garretson will be a sophomore in 2014 after taking over for Keeton when he went down with a season-ending knee injury last year against BYU. Garretson completed 60.3 percent of his passes for 1,446 yards, 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions while starting seven games for Utah State, winning six.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Living the dream: Controlled hoarding for a...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 121
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade... 11