Local college track and field athletes set to compete in NCAA regional
August Miller, Utah Valley University Marketing
Several local college track and field standouts will be making their way to Fayetteville, Arkansas, this week to participate in the NCAA outdoor track and field preliminaries. Competition starts Thursday and runs through Saturday.
BYU leads the way with 42 total qualifiers competing in 49 events. The Cougars' men's team is sending the second-largest contingent nationally with 32 participants.
Leading the way for the BYU men's team is steeplechaser Curtis Carr, who is seeded No. 2 in the event. The BYU women's team is led by Andrea Harrison, who is seeded No. 8 in the steeplechase.
The Cougars look particularly strong in the 10,000-meter run, where they have three runners seeded in the top 10. Jason Witt is seeded No. 3, with Jared Ward No. 4 and Jonathan Nelson No. 9.
Utah State qualified 18 student-athletes who will compete in 16 events. The Aggies recently participated in the Mountain West outdoor championships for the first time in school history. The USU men placed third and the women sixth.
Nic Bowens is the highest-ranked Aggie, seeded 10th in the 100 meters.
Utah qualified eight, with five of those ranked in the top 20 of their respective events. The marquee event for the Utes should be the women's 800 meters, where they'll be represented by Rosalie Waller, who is fresh off her second-place finish in the Pac-12 championships, and Alie Eisenbeiss.
Southern Utah will likewise send eight athletes to the regionals, led by Kayla Kovar, who will compete in the discus, hammer throw and shot put, where she'll be seeded No. 2.
Utah Valley will have six representatives, led by Ryle Williams, who is seeded No. 34 in the high jump.
Weber State will also send six, led by Taylor Ward, who is seeded No. 19 in the 10,000 meters.
The top 12 finishers in each event will qualify for the NCAA nationals, which will be held June 11-14 in Eugene, Oregon.
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 67
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 58
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36