Local college track and field athletes set to compete in NCAA regional
August Miller, Utah Valley University Marketing
Several local college track and field standouts will be making their way to Fayetteville, Arkansas, this week to participate in the NCAA outdoor track and field preliminaries. Competition starts Thursday and runs through Saturday.
BYU leads the way with 42 total qualifiers competing in 49 events. The Cougars' men's team is sending the second-largest contingent nationally with 32 participants.
Leading the way for the BYU men's team is steeplechaser Curtis Carr, who is seeded No. 2 in the event. The BYU women's team is led by Andrea Harrison, who is seeded No. 8 in the steeplechase.
The Cougars look particularly strong in the 10,000-meter run, where they have three runners seeded in the top 10. Jason Witt is seeded No. 3, with Jared Ward No. 4 and Jonathan Nelson No. 9.
Utah State qualified 18 student-athletes who will compete in 16 events. The Aggies recently participated in the Mountain West outdoor championships for the first time in school history. The USU men placed third and the women sixth.
Nic Bowens is the highest-ranked Aggie, seeded 10th in the 100 meters.
Utah qualified eight, with five of those ranked in the top 20 of their respective events. The marquee event for the Utes should be the women's 800 meters, where they'll be represented by Rosalie Waller, who is fresh off her second-place finish in the Pac-12 championships, and Alie Eisenbeiss.
Southern Utah will likewise send eight athletes to the regionals, led by Kayla Kovar, who will compete in the discus, hammer throw and shot put, where she'll be seeded No. 2.
Utah Valley will have six representatives, led by Ryle Williams, who is seeded No. 34 in the high jump.
Weber State will also send six, led by Taylor Ward, who is seeded No. 19 in the 10,000 meters.
The top 12 finishers in each event will qualify for the NCAA nationals, which will be held June 11-14 in Eugene, Oregon.
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 136
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 97
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 53
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48