Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Early June is one of the best times to fish in Utah, according to the Division of Wildlife Resources. To help people enjoy fishing, the DWR is holding a Free Fishing Day on Saturday, June 7.
Those wanting to participate will not need a fishing license to fish in the state that day. Before Free Fishing Day, the DWR will place extra fish in lakes and reservoirs across Utah.
Fishing for warm water fish, including bluegill, catfish, white bass and smallmouth and largemouth bass, is just starting to pick up, said Drew Cushing, warm water sport fisheries coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources. He added that trout and other cold water fish are still active and available to catch.
While anglers will not need a license to fish on June 7, all the other rules in the state’s fishing guidebook will still be in effect. The free guidebook is available at www.wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks.
Several free fishing events will be held on that day, including:
In Logan, at Skylar’s Pond, the Bear River Celebration will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the pond, which is located in Willow Park, 450 W. 700 South.
In Bountiful, people can “Fish with a Cop” from 10 a.m. to noon at Bountiful Lake, which is just west of Legacy Highway. For more information, call the DWR's Ogden office at 801-476-2740.
In Provo, the annual Utah Lake Festival, which will feature fishing activities for anglers of all ages, will be held at Utah Lake State Park, 4400 W. Center. Volunteers from the Salt Lake County Fish and Game Association will be on hand from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to help anglers.
In Spanish Fork, the 35th Annual Huck Finn Day fishing event will be held from 9 a.m. to noon at the Canyon View Park Pond, 3300 E. Powerhouse Road. For more information, visit spanishfork.org or call 801-804-4600.
In Ephraim Canyon, a fishing contest will be held at Community Lake. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and the contest starts at 10 a.m. Food and prizes will be available. For more information, call the Sanpete Ranger District at 435-283-4151.
In Price, an event will take place at the Carbon County Fairgrounds Pond from 8-11 a.m. DWR staff will also provide rods, reels and bait, along with supervision and instruction. The Carbon County Recreation Department will provide free donuts, hot chocolate and coffee.
Other events will be held at Matt Warner Reservoir in Uintah County, 9 a.m. to noon; Moose Ponds in Daggett County, 9 a.m. to noon; and Lower Stillwater Ponds on Rock Creek in Duchesne County, 9 a.m. to noon.
For more information, contact the nearest DWR office.
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Report: Communication breakdowns contributed...
- Housing prices expected to climb in 2016,...
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial in...
- Video involving officer whose ear was nearly...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Woman dies after getting caught in...
- Son of Oregon occupier killed by police... 106
- State senator wants Utah to declare... 39
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 24
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 22
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 18
- What you need to know about the effort... 15