What's new: 'Diary of Two Mad Black Mormons' shares life like it is
"DIARY OF TWO MAD BLACK MORMONS," by Zandra Vranes and Tamu Smith, Ensign Peak, $21.99, 222 pages (nf)
"Check yo'self before you wreck yo'self."
Explanation: "You better re-evaluate your actions before you get yourself into serious trouble."
That's just one of the great lines of advice found in "Diary of Two Mad Black Mormons," a book by Zandra Vranes and Tamu Smith, two popular African-American multimedia personalities, bloggers and the hosts of a weekly online radio program. More commonly, they are known as the "Sistas in Zion."
The Sistas, featured in a Deseret News article last year, wrote their book to share their humorous unique perspectives and provide a wholesome Christian message for people of all faiths.
"Our hope for 'Sistas in Zion' was to create a place where our friends and family of all faiths could openly converse, and we also want to share humorous aspects of Mormon culture," Vranes and Smith wrote in the book's opening pages. "We know you might find it hard to believe that Mormons are funny. We are."
Ann Romney, wife of former U.S. presidential candidate Mitt Romney, endorsed their book, referring to the Sistas' style as "delightful and refreshing."
"Zandra and Tamu share gospel truths and stories that remind us that God can be found in every aspect of life," Ann Romney said.
NFL linebacker Bryan Kehl agrees.
"In a day full of tip-toeing and guarded talk, it's such a breath of fresh air to have two 'Sistas in Zion' who just tell it how it is. No sugar-coating. No beating around the bush. Just the truth as they see it, that sets us free," Kehl said. "Sista Laurel and Sista Beehive will have you pounding your leg in laughter one minute, and nodding your head 'A-men' the next. Their perspective on the gospel is different and quite unique."
The Sistas will be signing copies of their book at various Deseret Book locations this weekend. On Friday, May 30, they will be at the downtown Salt Lake City store, 45 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City, from 12:30-1:30 p.m.
On Saturday, May 31, the will be at the Bountiful Deseret Book, 135 N. 545 West, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; the Fort Union store, 1110 Fort Union Blvd, Midvale, from 1:30-3 p.m.; and the Orem store at 230 E. University Parkway, 4-5:30 p.m.
If you go ...
What: Zandra Vranes and Tamu Smith book signing
When: Friday, May 30, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
Where: Deseret Book, 45 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City
When: Saturday, May 31, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Where: Deseret Book, 135 N. 545 West, Bountiful
When: Saturday, May 31, 1:30-3 p.m.
Where: Deseret Book, 1110 Fort Union Blvd., Midvale
When: Saturday, May 31, 4-5:30 p.m.
Where: Deseret Book, 230 E. University Parkway, Orem
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he has 'no...
- 1st edition Book of Mormon sells for $52,500...
- Pope prays at Armenia memorial after...
- Pope visits Armenia's closed border with...
- Church releases video in conjunction with...
- Picturing history: Historic Kirtland
- Man creates violence, responsible for ending...
- Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing in...
- Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing... 74
- Defending the Faith: The challenge... 29
- Survey: White evangelicals say US no... 21
- Trump to top evangelicals:... 19
- 7 conservative Christians who are not... 11
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he... 10
- LDS family stars in new TLC show,... 9
- Family of scholars: Utah family... 9