The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in the home of Peter Whitmer Sr. in Fayette, New York. As time progressed, Peter and his wife, Mary, moved to Missouri.
In 1838, their sons David (one of the Three Witnesses) and John (one of the Eight Witnesses) were excommunicated from the church. Shortly after that, Peter Sr. and his wife moved to Richmond, Ray County. They had a home that stood on the site seen here. According to historian Max H Parkin, the house would have been located at what is now 210 E. Main St. in Richmond.
Following his return to the church, Oliver Cowdery was unable to go west with the majority of the Saints. Instead, he moved to the Whitmer home in Richmond. Peter Sr. and Mary were Cowderyâ€™s parents-in-law. Cowdery was married to their daughter, Elizabeth Ann, and he passed away in that home on March 3, 1850. He was buried in the Pioneer Cemetery in Richmond.