For his part, the 52-year-old Eyestone, who once ran marathons at a 5-flat-per-mile pace, still runs five miles a day (at about a 6-minute clip) and occasionally accompanies his athletes on light runs — “usually after I set them up with a hard workout,” he says. Despite all those miles he piled up over the years, he has no aches or pains, and at 6-foot-2, he is still a spare 165 pounds, up from his gaunt 139-pound racing weight.
Years ago, after he signed his second four-year deal with Reebok, he realized he was “all in” with the running business. Any chance for another career was getting away from him. As a result, while sidelined by pneumonia for a time, he asked Wood to search for broadcast opportunities. Wood found them and it has led to a side career as a color commentator. Eyestone provided commentary for NBC’s 2008 Olympic coverage, and for a dozen years he did a handful of races annually for ESPN’s Race of the Month series before it was discontinued. He continues to do TV work, most recently the Chicago Marathon, but also the New York and L.A. marathons, among other races that occur on weekends when BYU doesn’t have a meet.
Eyestone, who has six daughters with his wife Lynn, also wrote a monthly column for Runner’s World Magazine for about a decade. “I was happy to be done with that,” he says. “It became my monthly albatross. The kids could tell when a column was due; I’d go to bed early, manifesting signs of depression. You can only write about marathon training for so long. I used up my good stuff the first two years. I was practically plagiarizing my own stuff.”
After almost 40 years in the running business, Eyestone is still all in. “It’s been a natural thing,” he says. “I guess it’s the 10,000-hour theory. You follow your expertise and do what you know.”
Doug Robinson's columns run on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28