Balancing act: Survey shows work-life flexibility trend is 'almost perfectly ambivalent'
"I think the Yahoo and Best Buy stories shined a spotlight on the 20 percent of employers who employees said did actually decrease the amount of flexibility they offer, and they gave other organizations that aren't as confident in the way flexibility is being used permission to pause and say, 'Wait, is this the best we can do?’ ” Yost wrote.
"My hope is that we stop focusing on the minority that chose to throw the baby out with the bath water and instead start talking about what it takes to make flexibility really work."
Those "minority" voices did receive a disproportionate amount of attention this past year. However, this might end up being a net positive in the long run.
Even when a small minority of companies are eliminating flexibility for employees, they are getting people talking and thinking about the importance of work-life balance. Based on most of the reactions to the incidents of the past year, I think it is safe to say that the idea of offering flexibility is no longer considered strange. Instead, these companies' plans to cut flexibility were seen as odd, and that's a good sign.
I'll share more of the survey results and my email interview with Yost in next week's column. In the meantime, if you have any ideas about what I've shared so far, please leave a comment online or send me an email. I'd like to hear your thoughts on these issues.
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Top 50 companies to work for in Utah
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- More home-cooked meals really can save you...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Financial interventions don't work
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 15
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- Child poverty just dropped for the... 4