UVU baseball: Wolverines fall short in bid for WAC Tournament title
Utah Valley University fell short in its bid for a Western Athletic Conference Baseball Tournament championship, falling 10-3 to Sacramento State for the second straight day at Cubs Park. The Hornets (39-22) will receive the WAC’s automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament, while the Wolverines’ (28-30) season comes to an end.
“This is very disappointing for sure, but we had a good run here,” head coach Eric Madsen said. “Sac State is a great team and so well coached and congratulations to them. We know they’ll represent the WAC well. For us, we need to regroup and take this experience and build on it for the future.”
The Hornets jumped out quickly for the second straight day. After scoring four times in the first on Saturday, they put three on the board in the top of the first on Sunday, and the Wolverines found themselves playing catch-up the rest of the day.
Rhys Hoskins homered twice in the game, hitting a solo home run in the second and a two-run shot in the eighth that gave Sac State the seven-run cushion. David Del Grande also hit a home run for the Hornets.
Utah Valley got two hits apiece from Seth Rhineer, Craig Brinkerhoff and Greyson Bogden but could never muster a rally against the Sac State pitching staff.
Brennan Leitao, on two days rest, pitched five innings and allowed just one unearned run on four hits while striking out three. Leitao, who moved to 9-4 on the year, threw 57 pitches with 46 of those strikes.
Kade Andrus was 1-for-3 for Utah Valley and was one of four Wolverines to be named to the All-Tournament team. Andrus led UVU at the plate, going 10-for-21 (.476) with a home run, three doubles and four RBIs. Joining him were Mark Krueger (8-19, .421, one home run, seven runs, four RBIs), Craig Brinkerhoff (7-19, five doubles, nine RBIs) and Andrew Freter (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 8.1 IP, three strikeouts).
2014 WAC All-Tournament Team
Chris Lewis, DH, Sacramento State (MVP)
Mark Krueger, DH, Utah Valley
Rhys Hoskins, 1B, Sacramento State
Kade Andrus, LF, Utah Valley
Oscar Sanay, SS, Bakersfield
Taylor Noyer, C, New Mexico State
Alex Palsha, P, Sacramento State
Andrew Freter, P, Utah Valley
Soloman Williams, 1B, Bakersfield
Brennan Leitao, P, Sacramento State
Craig Brinkerhoff, CF, Utah Valley
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16