Sacramento State forced a winner-take-all game at the 2014 WAC Baseball Tournament, topping Utah Valley University, 10-3, on Saturday night at Cubs Park. The teams square off again Sunday at noon PT, with the winner advancing the NCAA Tournament.
The Wolverines (28-29), suffering their first loss at the tournament, found themselves in a quick 3-0 hole after the first inning. The Hornets (38-22) scored three times in the frame behind a two-run single from Will Soto and a sacrifice fly from David Del Grande.
UVU got on the board in the third with Kade Andrus' third home run of the year, a solo shot, and then was within a run in the top of the fourth when Mark Krueger singled and later scored on a grounder by Greyson Bogden.
Sac State answered with a run in the bottom of the inning, and after UVU got within a run again with one in the fifth, it responded with runs in the fifth and sixth to push the lead back to three, 6-3. The Hornets then broke the game open with a four-run eighth.
Patrick Wolfe (2-3) took the loss for Utah Valley, while Chad Perry pitched 3.0 innings in relief and allowed just one unearned run. The Wolverines committed six errors in the game, tying an inauspicious WAC Tournament record.
Krueger had two hits for the Wolverines, who finished with six hits on the night but none after the fifth inning. Perry, Sutter Mcloughlin and Austin Ragsdale combined to retire 13 of the final 14 hitters on the night. Sac State had 13 hits with Chris Lewis going 3-for-4 with three RBIs, and Will Soto also collecting three hits and driving in a pair.
Both teams are now 3-1 on the week with Sac State also improving to 3-1 this season against Utah Valley. The Wolverines are seeking their first NCAA Regional appearance.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Utah Sports Ruckus: BYU football's first...
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron in...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 133
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 97
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 46