Sacramento State forced a winner-take-all game at the 2014 WAC Baseball Tournament, topping Utah Valley University, 10-3, on Saturday night at Cubs Park. The teams square off again Sunday at noon PT, with the winner advancing the NCAA Tournament.
The Wolverines (28-29), suffering their first loss at the tournament, found themselves in a quick 3-0 hole after the first inning. The Hornets (38-22) scored three times in the frame behind a two-run single from Will Soto and a sacrifice fly from David Del Grande.
UVU got on the board in the third with Kade Andrus' third home run of the year, a solo shot, and then was within a run in the top of the fourth when Mark Krueger singled and later scored on a grounder by Greyson Bogden.
Sac State answered with a run in the bottom of the inning, and after UVU got within a run again with one in the fifth, it responded with runs in the fifth and sixth to push the lead back to three, 6-3. The Hornets then broke the game open with a four-run eighth.
Patrick Wolfe (2-3) took the loss for Utah Valley, while Chad Perry pitched 3.0 innings in relief and allowed just one unearned run. The Wolverines committed six errors in the game, tying an inauspicious WAC Tournament record.
Krueger had two hits for the Wolverines, who finished with six hits on the night but none after the fifth inning. Perry, Sutter Mcloughlin and Austin Ragsdale combined to retire 13 of the final 14 hitters on the night. Sac State had 13 hits with Chris Lewis going 3-for-4 with three RBIs, and Will Soto also collecting three hits and driving in a pair.
Both teams are now 3-1 on the week with Sac State also improving to 3-1 this season against Utah Valley. The Wolverines are seeking their first NCAA Regional appearance.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22