Dick Harmon: Medical miracles in sports never cease to amaze
Before the hip surgery, I was in the pre-operation bay at St. Mark's with my wife and a nurse sitting on either side of me when I felt my eyes swell up and tears fell down my cheeks. The nurse asked if everything was OK. “Yes,” I answered, but I wasn’t sure why this happened. I wasn’t afraid or scared, even if they were about to cut off the top of my femur and stuff a metal spike down the middle of the bone. It wasn’t a self pity wondering “why me?” type of thing. I believe it was a deep-seated feeling of profound appreciation that overcame me like a warm blanket.
This past week, I got my beloved vacation. I played 108 holes, including 18-hole rounds at The Ledges and Sand Hollow in St. George, then full rounds at Wolf Creek, Oasis, Casa Blanca and Falcon Ridge in Mesquite on four consecutive days.
Some of the golfing was good. A little was great. Some was kind of bad. But I played and to me it was as much of a miracle as if somebody moved a mountain.
I’m not 100 percent. There’s weakness and tightness, but it gets better every week.
I’d be pretty selfish if I didn’t publicly acknowledge these miracles that have come my way — both personally and those I’ve witnessed with the many athletes I’ve seen recover, rehab and return to do amazing physical things in their lives.
Gratitude, amazement, wonderment and awe are words to describe what we witness being done by doctors and nurses in this modern era.
We are lucky to live in this time.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16