Dick Harmon: Medical miracles in sports never cease to amaze
Before the hip surgery, I was in the pre-operation bay at St. Mark's with my wife and a nurse sitting on either side of me when I felt my eyes swell up and tears fell down my cheeks. The nurse asked if everything was OK. “Yes,” I answered, but I wasn’t sure why this happened. I wasn’t afraid or scared, even if they were about to cut off the top of my femur and stuff a metal spike down the middle of the bone. It wasn’t a self pity wondering “why me?” type of thing. I believe it was a deep-seated feeling of profound appreciation that overcame me like a warm blanket.
This past week, I got my beloved vacation. I played 108 holes, including 18-hole rounds at The Ledges and Sand Hollow in St. George, then full rounds at Wolf Creek, Oasis, Casa Blanca and Falcon Ridge in Mesquite on four consecutive days.
Some of the golfing was good. A little was great. Some was kind of bad. But I played and to me it was as much of a miracle as if somebody moved a mountain.
I’m not 100 percent. There’s weakness and tightness, but it gets better every week.
I’d be pretty selfish if I didn’t publicly acknowledge these miracles that have come my way — both personally and those I’ve witnessed with the many athletes I’ve seen recover, rehab and return to do amazing physical things in their lives.
Gratitude, amazement, wonderment and awe are words to describe what we witness being done by doctors and nurses in this modern era.
We are lucky to live in this time.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 111
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 82
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29