NFL locals rookie roundup: Kyle Van Noy projected as first-year starter for Lions
"I'm going to tell you what, he's got an ability to pressure the quarterback," Wells said of Alexander, who was drafted by St. Louis in the fourth round. "The kid can blitz. He knows how to rush from a safety type spot, and that's some of the outside ’backer skills coming back into play for him. And he's got really good closing speed at the end that helps when you're rushing the quarterback like that."
Alexander played outside linebacker his junior year at Utah State in 2011, then moved to safety last season.
"I like grinding," Alexander said in a team video profile about him. "I grinded my way from high school to junior college to sitting a year out, and I always just keep the grind in my head. I just keep working, I keep working. And I know one day it'll happen."
• The Oakland Raiders have a league-high four rookies with Utah ties on their roster currently. Utah State linebacker Bojay Filimoeatui signed a free agent deal Monday, joining three former Utes — cornerback Keith McGill, tight end Jake Murphy and fullback Karl Williams — on the Oakland squad.
McGill was a fourth-round draft pick by the Raiders, while Williams and Murphy signed free-agent contracts after going undrafted.
“Keith is one of those guys that he has size, he has length, he has speed,” Oakland coach Dennis Allen told team writer Rebecca Corman following the Raiders' rookie mini-camp. “(He) is a little raw. There are some things that we have to work with him from a fundamental and a technique standpoint. But he has the skill set that will allow him, if he continues to work and do the things that we ask him to do, to be a good player.”
• Former Utah defensive end/linebacker Trevor Reilly became the first of the New York Jets' draftees to sign with the team when he inked a four-year rookie deal on May 14. The Star-Ledger estimated the seventh-round pick's deal was for $2,276,848, with a signing bonus of $56,848.
"From my understanding, when drafting comes, there are two things that kind of scare teams off on guys that are rated higher, an injury history and age, and I happen to have a little bit of both," Reilly told reporters on a conference call, according to team writer Randy Lange. "I’m happy to be a Jet, like I said. It is what it is and I’m here now, seventh round. I’m happy to be drafted and I’m happy to be able to play for a great organization."
• Timpview High alum Xavier Su'a-Filo is already making an impression with his new team, the Houston Texans, who selected the offensive lineman in the second round of this year's NFL draft.
“I don’t know much about him (but), I actually texted back and forth with him after we drafted him, just kind of a welcome to Houston,” Texans center Chris Myers told the Houston Chronicle. “I think he’s going to be a great addition to our line, wherever he ends up playing.”
Mike Kerns, a writer for the blog site House of Houston, said Sua-Filo seems to be a "certain Day One starter."
Su'a-Filo also has a family connection to the Houston area: that's where his father served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
"My dad served his mission in Houston and he spent time in Vidor," Su'a-Filo told ESPN. "There are a lot of members of our church from Vidor and I got to meet him and his family."
• Former BYU tight end Kaneakua Friel tweeted that he was headed to San Francisco's rookie mini-camp this weekend. According to the 49ers, he is one of four tight ends at the rookie camp, including three who are there on a tryout basis. Friel was at the Dallas Cowboys' rookie mini-camp for a tryout the week before.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5 in...
- Defensive-minded Utah Jazz open preseason...
- Magic happens: Former BYU receiver Austin...
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- In critical situations, BYU offense, defense...
- Looking back and ahead at BYU's football...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 52
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 33
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 23
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 22