Woman killed, man and four children injured in I-15 rollover
CLEARFIELD — A woman was killed and a man and four children were injured Saturday morning in the first fatal crash of the Memorial Day holiday weekend when their SUV struck a concrete barrier on a median on I-15 and rolled down an embankment.
Rebecca "Becky" Riley, 35, was killed in the crash. Her husband Michael "Dave" Riley, 36, remains in critical condition at McKay-Dee Hospital.
The accident is also the first fatality of the "100 Deadliest Days" for Utah roads. There is typically a 35 percent increase in traffic fatalities between the Memorial Day and Labor Day holidays, according to the Utah Department of Transportation.
"Sad crash," UHP Col. Daniel Fuhr tweeted. "Family of 6. All 4 kids ok (buckled in tight) one parent seatbelt not properly worn (strap behind back) contribute to fatal." Fuhr also urged Utahns to buckle up. "That little belt will save you."
The Utah Highway Patrol said Dave Riley lost control about 7:45 a.m. while heading north on the freeway near 650 North in Clearfield. He was transported by helicopter to the hospital in critical condition with several fractures.
Four children inside the vehicle, Adalyn, 8, Breanna, 5, Collin, 3, and Danielle, 6 months old, sustained minor injuries, the UHP reported, and were taken to the hospital by ambulance.
The vehicle, a Toyota Sequoia, "shot to the right" after striking the median barrier and went off an embankment near the overpass and rolled several times, the UHP said.
A fund is set up for the family at America First Credit Union. Donations can be made to The Becky Riley Fund.
Dan Riley, Dave's brother, said Becky's death is "tragic, absolutely tragic."
"Becky was an incredible mother and wife to Dave," he said. "She was a friend to everyone."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 34
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11