What could be better than a moist and sweet cake that takes just minutes to put together? My caramel applesauce cake is a moist spice cake full of the tart flavors of apples with crunchy nuts and a sweet caramel topping.
It sounds like a complex recipe, but this cake uses only five ingredients and is then finished off with a simple caramel topping. By poking holes in the cake, the topping soaks in and gives the entire dish an extra moist and sweet caramel-apple flavor. It is so delicious and yet so easy. And if you have leftovers (which is rare at my house), this cake is perfect with a morning beverage or as a midday treat.
Belle’s Caramel Apple Cake
1 (18-ounce) box spice cake mix
1 ¼ cups applesauce (I like the chunky style)
1/3 cup oil
1 cup nuts, chopped
Place cake mix, eggs, applesauce and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for two minutes. Stir in the nuts. Pour mixture into a greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. Cool. Using a fork, make holes in the cake. Pour the caramel sauce over the cake and let it soak in.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- How your premarital experiences can affect...
- Couple struggling with fertility now...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for Amendment...
- Utah's One Voice Children's Choir to perform...
- How to talk to your kids about porn
- 32 pictures capture priceless family moments...
- Insights from the Behavioral Science Guy: The...
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000. Here...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 45
- How your premarital experiences can... 11
- Want to increase attraction in your... 6
- Kids' brains reorganize when learning... 5
- Innovative legal service helps those... 4
- Couple struggling with fertility now... 4
- Utah State Bar's lawyer referral... 3
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000.... 3