What could be better than a moist and sweet cake that takes just minutes to put together? My caramel applesauce cake is a moist spice cake full of the tart flavors of apples with crunchy nuts and a sweet caramel topping.
It sounds like a complex recipe, but this cake uses only five ingredients and is then finished off with a simple caramel topping. By poking holes in the cake, the topping soaks in and gives the entire dish an extra moist and sweet caramel-apple flavor. It is so delicious and yet so easy. And if you have leftovers (which is rare at my house), this cake is perfect with a morning beverage or as a midday treat.
Belle’s Caramel Apple Cake
1 (18-ounce) box spice cake mix
1 ¼ cups applesauce (I like the chunky style)
1/3 cup oil
1 cup nuts, chopped
Place cake mix, eggs, applesauce and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for two minutes. Stir in the nuts. Pour mixture into a greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. Cool. Using a fork, make holes in the cake. Pour the caramel sauce over the cake and let it soak in.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Why my husband never sleeps on the couch and...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Erin Stewart: Are your possessions stealing...
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- Motherhood Matters: 6 ways to help your shy...
- Wright Words: Utah songwriter takes dreams to...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Why my husband never sleeps on the... 23
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12
- How strict should parents really be? 5
- Erin Stewart: Are your possessions... 5
- How different types of mothers have... 4
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 4
- Great-grandfather receives honorary... 3