What could be better than a moist and sweet cake that takes just minutes to put together? My caramel applesauce cake is a moist spice cake full of the tart flavors of apples with crunchy nuts and a sweet caramel topping.
It sounds like a complex recipe, but this cake uses only five ingredients and is then finished off with a simple caramel topping. By poking holes in the cake, the topping soaks in and gives the entire dish an extra moist and sweet caramel-apple flavor. It is so delicious and yet so easy. And if you have leftovers (which is rare at my house), this cake is perfect with a morning beverage or as a midday treat.
Belle’s Caramel Apple Cake
1 (18-ounce) box spice cake mix
1 ¼ cups applesauce (I like the chunky style)
1/3 cup oil
1 cup nuts, chopped
Place cake mix, eggs, applesauce and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for two minutes. Stir in the nuts. Pour mixture into a greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. Cool. Using a fork, make holes in the cake. Pour the caramel sauce over the cake and let it soak in.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: I know what it's...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- BYU Museum of Art honors National Park...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Book review: 3 recent books share aspects of...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Bountiful Handcart Days Parade brings...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 18
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: I know what... 5
- Wright Words: What I learned from... 4
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- Bountiful Handcart Days Parade brings... 1
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1