What could be better than a moist and sweet cake that takes just minutes to put together? My caramel applesauce cake is a moist spice cake full of the tart flavors of apples with crunchy nuts and a sweet caramel topping.
It sounds like a complex recipe, but this cake uses only five ingredients and is then finished off with a simple caramel topping. By poking holes in the cake, the topping soaks in and gives the entire dish an extra moist and sweet caramel-apple flavor. It is so delicious and yet so easy. And if you have leftovers (which is rare at my house), this cake is perfect with a morning beverage or as a midday treat.
Belle’s Caramel Apple Cake
1 (18-ounce) box spice cake mix
1 ¼ cups applesauce (I like the chunky style)
1/3 cup oil
1 cup nuts, chopped
Place cake mix, eggs, applesauce and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for two minutes. Stir in the nuts. Pour mixture into a greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. Cool. Using a fork, make holes in the cake. Pour the caramel sauce over the cake and let it soak in.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- 3 Utah mothers to compete in U.S. Olympic...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: The romance of restraint
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved ones...
- Free marriage check-up clinic offered at...
- The Clean Cut: Kelly Clarkson announces...
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on Valentine's Day
- The heart of the matter: What your pulse says...
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell...
- If Splenda gives Swiss rats cancer,... 6
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved... 2
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell... 1
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on... 1
- Orchestra of Southern Utah Children's... 0
- The heart of the matter: What your... 0
- Motherhood Matters: How to manage... 0
- The Clean Cut: New trailer for... 0