FamilySearch releases new online collection of Civil War records for Memorial Day
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
In honor of Memorial Day, FamilySearch.org has released a new online collection of Civil War historic records that features aids for those researching casualties and veterans of the Civil War.
The collection is available at FamilySearch.org/civil-war.
The landing page offers a summary of the historic records and aids and caters to those researching casualties and veterans of the Civil War. The collection also includes Union and Confederate pension, prisoner of war, cemetery, National Soldier Home and census records.
According to the release, more than three million soldiers fought and an estimated 620,000 died in the Civil War. After the war, families of the deceased created a day of observance to honor the servicemen, and they placed flowers on their graves.
The first official observance of Decoration Day was May 30, 1868, at Arlington National Cemetery. Decoration Day was officially established as Memorial Day, the last Monday in May, when President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the law in 1971.
Visitors can preserve historic photos, stories and correspondence of family members who served in other military wars at FamilySearch.org.
"Each soldier family has a story, and these stories are handed down from generation to generation," said Ken Nelson, collection manager for FamilySearch. "When you want to get the particulars of what that service was, you start going to these government records that document the service."
FamilySearch International is the largest genealogy organization in the world. FamilySearch is a nonprofit, volunteer-driven organization sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares details...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith's vision of...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the Mormon...
- Is your financial house in order? 10...
- LDS missionaries cover David Archuleta's...
- Old Rock Church tours open doors to historic...
- Who decides if a law restricts a religious...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith's... 35
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the... 32
- Who decides if a law restricts a... 22
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares... 16
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 8
- Senate adds religious freedom amendment... 8
- Who are ‘the least of... 7