USU track: Utah State sending 18 student-athletes to compete in first round of NCAA Championships
Utah State men's and women's track and field teams will send 18 qualifying student-athletes to compete in the first round of the NCAA Outdoor Championships. The championships will be held Thursday through Saturday, May 29-31, in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
For the Aggie women, juniors Rachel Orr and Chari Hawkins will take part in the high jump after setting the 11th (1.80m) and 42nd-best (1.75m) marks in the field, respectively. Hawkins also qualified in the long jump with a 24th ranking (6.09m) and 100m hurdles with a ranking of 30th (13.57), while also automatically advancing to the finals in the heptathlon after posting 5,550 points, the 13th-best point total in the field.
Senior Sam Nielson qualified in the triple jump with the 40th-best leap of 12.39m, while senior Keeley Eldredge and junior Melanie Heslop will compete in the hammer throw after posting rankings of 20th (60.00m) and 31st (58.76m), respectively. Senior Kaylee Hartshorn and freshman Mia Estes qualified in the javelin after ranking 29th (47.74m) and 41st (45.94m), respectively.
On the track, senior Kylie Ross set the 39th-best time of 59.80 to qualify in the 400m hurdles, and junior Brittany Bushman will compete in the 3,000m steeplechase after recording a time of 10:28.18, good for the 41st-fastest time in the field.
On the men's side, Aggie sprinters make up a large portion of the field. Junior Nic Bowens (10th/10.19), senior Silas Pimentel (28th/10.42) and sophomore Parker Bluth (35th/10.43) will compete in the 100m. Bowens (13th/20.77) and Pimentel (28th/10.42) also qualified for the 200m. Bowens, Pimentel and Bluth, along with senior Jacob Bautista Jr., will also take part in the 4x100m relay race after posting a ranking of ninth with a time of 39.68. Junior Cole Lambourne will represtent Utah State in the 400m after setting the 33rd fastest time of 46.92. Finally, junior Eric Shellhorn (45th/3:46.03) will compete in the 1,500m, and freshman Colby Wilson (22nd/8:54.12) will take part in the 3,000m steeplechase.
Utah State is coming off its first Mountain West Outdoor Championships, where the Aggie men finished third and the USU women placed sixth. Utah State collected six event titles and 22 first-team all-Mountain West selections at the conference meet.
Utah State Athletic Media Relations
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule includes...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 111
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 71
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 43