Utah Film Society
SALT LAKE CITY — The Gallivan Center will again be host to a series of free film screenings this summer, presented by the Utah Film Center.
The "Make 'em Laugh" series will showcase a classic comedy film each Monday night in July beginning at dusk. Titles for this year's series include:
Stanley Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" on July 7.
Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" on July 14.
John Hughes' "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" on July 21.
Harold Ramis' "Groundhog Day" on July 28.
Patrick Hubley, artistic director of the Utah Film Center, said that for this year's film series, organizers chose to feature comedies from a range of generations, selecting one film each from the 1960s, '70s, '80s and '90s.
Hubley said the Gallivan Center, in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City, provides a unique viewing experience different from the traditional park or drive-in summer screening.
"It really is kind of cool to be sitting around with the urban environment surrounding you," he said. "It's a lot of fun."
Attendees are encouraged to arrive 30 to 45 minutes before sunset, Hubley said. All four screenings are free to the public, and chairs, blankets and food are allowed.
"It’s really like a picnic at the movies," Hubley said. "We’re in for a fun summer down at the Gallivan center."
- The Piano Guys perform 'Silent Night' at New...
- BYU Vocal Point, One Voice Children's Choir...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- Zuckerberg and wife announce they are giving...
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- In a distracted world, coloring books offer...
- Seasonal stagings: Area theaters host holiday...
- 'Waitress' makes history as the first time a...
- Steve Eaton: 'Bewitched' apparitions... 8
- These touching Christmas ads will melt... 3
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes 1
- Bono, Clooney, Kardashian part of... 1
- Zuckerberg and wife announce they are... 1
- Prehistoric lessons: What children can... 1
- Surprising success: 'A Charlie Brown... 1
- Seasonal stagings: Area theaters host... 1