Utah Film Society
SALT LAKE CITY — The Gallivan Center will again be host to a series of free film screenings this summer, presented by the Utah Film Center.
The "Make 'em Laugh" series will showcase a classic comedy film each Monday night in July beginning at dusk. Titles for this year's series include:
Stanley Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" on July 7.
Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" on July 14.
John Hughes' "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" on July 21.
Harold Ramis' "Groundhog Day" on July 28.
Patrick Hubley, artistic director of the Utah Film Center, said that for this year's film series, organizers chose to feature comedies from a range of generations, selecting one film each from the 1960s, '70s, '80s and '90s.
Hubley said the Gallivan Center, in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City, provides a unique viewing experience different from the traditional park or drive-in summer screening.
"It really is kind of cool to be sitting around with the urban environment surrounding you," he said. "It's a lot of fun."
Attendees are encouraged to arrive 30 to 45 minutes before sunset, Hubley said. All four screenings are free to the public, and chairs, blankets and food are allowed.
"It’s really like a picnic at the movies," Hubley said. "We’re in for a fun summer down at the Gallivan center."
- Big on opera: Utah Opera's artistic director...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Peru Fest community event celebrates culture,...
- Behind the scenes of the Utah Shakespeare...
- Actors anxiously await Farmington's 'Annie...
- 'Avengers' unleash 'Ultron' footage at Comic-Con
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 12
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- James Garner was a singular talent with... 1
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't... 1
- Sherry Young: Moving — a life... 1
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt... 1