Vai's View: Family returns for riveting teaching experience about Book of Mormon and prayer
“We thank thee for our friends the Stewarts.”
“We ask thee to bless them in their search for truth.”
I glanced with my open eye at the Stewarts, who knelt at my side, arms folded, eyes completely closed and hanging on every word.
“Please answer their prayers as they seek guidance.”
“In the name.”
With that, Josh clapped loudly, seeking our approval. In unison, we said “amen,” clapped and cheered.
I turned to the Stewarts and invited them to do likewise in their homes, in the privacy of their bedroom, without the TV on, each and every time they read or re-read the assigned homework. I emphasized the sweet, peaceful feeling that pervaded our home at the moment and told them to remember and recall that feeling when they do pray — identifying it as the Holy Ghost, so they’d recognize him. To complete the exercise, I invited Rolando to pray, following the template of my simple prayer with Josh: to address God, express appreciation, ask for blessings and close in the Savior’s name.
Rolando did so, and his words were filled with warmth and sincerity.
We concluded with hugs and more pictures in our foyer. We scheduled another dinner and lesson for the following week, which the sister missionaries asked my two returned missionary sons to assist in teaching. For the first time, my wife and I would hear our RM sons teach as if they were companions.
In the meantime, my sons and the two Stewart boys exchanged cellphone numbers and made plans to work out.
On the next visit, Ronell Stewart came with his girlfriend, Kristen. If the Stewart boys are golden, Kristen Mayhand is platinum. You’ll see.
Meet her next week. I can’t wait to introduce you. Stay tuned.
Vai Sikahema anchors the morning news for NBC10 in Philadelphia. He is a two-time NFL All-Pro and two-time Emmy winner and is enshrined in the BYU Sports and Philadelphia Broadcast halls of fame. He received the 2012 Deseret News President's Award.
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- ABC's 'Nightline' takes a look into the lives...
- LDS Church releases statement on construction...
- BYU football players gather for 30 year...
- BYUtv releases 'New Day for the Book of...
- Tad Walch: The LDS Church's call for balance...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 205
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 163
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 57
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Tad Walch: The LDS Church's call for... 29
- Defending the Faith: Rethinking... 28
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25