Upset Woods Cross residents want answers about refinery emissions
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
WOODS CROSS — Residents packed a City Council meeting Tuesday seeking answers for an incident last week at Silver Eagle Refining.
The May 15 incident occurred when a tank at the refinery had an overpressure incident that sent vapors and chemicals into the air.
"If you choose to store compounds likes that, you better darn well know what is going on," resident Maren Hilbig said.
Woods Cross residents at the meeting voiced their concern that they are being lied to by Silver Eagle Refining.
"I have a son who is sick, and I have a daughter who still has itchy eyes and has been lethargic," West Bountiful resident Heather Gardner said.
The principal of nearby Legacy Preparatory Academy send students home early.
Silver Eagle Refining General Manager Jerry Lockie admitted Tuesday that communication during the incident could have been better.
"The city knows we have a situation we didn't like,” Lockie said. “We take it very, very seriously, and we're all about trying to fix it."
After questioning, he also admitted there were a couple of fires during the incident, something residents say they were never told.
"I do feel like I’ve been lied to since (May 15)," Gardner said.
Now, residents want to know what was burning and released into the air.
"I don't care that it was three to five minutes,” Gardner said. “It was a fire, and it was a volatile material that was in that tank."
Lockie responded that it was a waxy substance in the tank, 90 percent of which is material found in candles and crayons.
He said he would have to get back to residents about the other 10 percent.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6