Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke earns spot on NBA's All-Rookie first team
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Trey Burke has another award to add to his basketball resume.
The Utah Jazz point guard was voted to the NBA's All-Rookie first team by members of the media after averaging 12.8 points, 5.7 assists and 3.0 rebounds in his inaugural professional season.
The All-Rookie first-team includes Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams (250 points), Victor Oladipo (248), Burke (230), Brooklyn's Mason Plumlee (214) and New York's Tim Hardaway Jr. (204).
Burke was on 122 of 125 ballots from sportswriters and broadcasters who regularly cover the NBA. The 6-foot-1 playmaker received 108 first-team votes. (Click here to see how media members voted.)
Burke, the 2013 NCAA player of the year at Michigan, returned from a broken finger injury to help the Jazz play better after a disastrous 1-14 start.
The 21-year-old was named Western Conference rookie of the month three times and teamed up with Portland standout Damian Lillard to win the Skills Challenge during All-Star Weekend.
Burke is the sixth Jazz player to be named to the All-Rookie first team, joining Darrell Griffith (1980-81), Thurl Bailey (1983-84), Karl Malone (1985-86), Andrei Kirilenko (2001-02) and Deron Williams (2005-06). Blue Edwards (1989-90), Paul Millsap (2006-07) and Derrick Favors (2010-11) received second-team recognition as rookies.
The Jazz rookie finished third in Rookie of the Year voting.
EMAIL: email@example.com, TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 46
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 36
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30