Utah Jazz have choices aplenty at the No. 5 spot in NBA draft
There are question marks attached to other possibilities. Can Creighton 6-8 sharpshooter Doug McDermott's quick release and shot-making skills overcome his defensive and size limitations? Can Croatian forward Dario Saric’s skilled international game translate into NBA success?
On the other hand, is it possible that an Embiid or Exum will slide down to five if a team before Utah makes a surprise selection?
If those weren’t enough questions, Walt Perrin, the Jazz’s vice president of player personnel, still wonders if there really is a game-changing player in this much-hyped draft class. It's Perrin's task to convince as many players' agents as possible to allow their clients to come to Utah for critical interviews, medical evaluations and pre-draft workouts.
Asked if there’s a “generational talent” in the 2014 group of prospects, Perrin simply replied, “We’ll see.” And that was Tuesday morning, hours before the Jazz found out their unfortunate fate.
Perrin was also asked if the draft is deep enough to have an All-Star-level guy at No. 7, just in case the Jazz dropped that far (which they didn’t).
“Ahh,” he said. “We’ll see.”
An All-Star at No. 5?
“Maybe (he’ll) have a better chance than seven,” Perrin said, laughing. “But we’ll see.”
OK, how about an MVP type at No. 4?
That’s when Perrin said he’s not sure if this draft has a guy that will fare as well as LeBron James or Kevin Durant, as some have projected.
“You have to wait a couple of years before you can say a guy might be a franchise-type player,” he said. “Is there one of those in this draft? I don’t know for sure. We’re going to try to figure that out and hopefully we can pick him.”
How will the Jazz get one of those elite guys if he is there after all?
As Perrin might say, we’ll see.
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- Brad Rock: Jerry Sloan praises ref who may...
- Preseason viewer’s guide: Clash of the...
- Felt's Facts, Week 1: Where does Duchesne's...
- High school football: Top 10 storylines to...
- BYU coaches focus on shoring up special teams
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 110
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 106
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 75
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a... 64
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 46