SANDY — Lori Jones, Canyons School District’s comprehensive counseling and guidance coordinator, has been named the Utah Technology Council’s Educator of the Year.
Jones was selected for the award for her efforts to connect school counselors with industry representatives and improve career opportunities for students, according to a news release from the school district.
“I want them to look at every challenge as an opportunity to learn and make sure they take hard classes that make them think," she said. "(Students) should go the extra mile by exploring and learning everything they can about the career of their dreams and the college of their dreams.”
Jones also was recognized for her efforts to bring engineering and tech executives to meet with district counselors at the annual Wasatch Front Counselor Fair to make sure their knowledge was up to date.
“It’s important to have continual training as to what are the high-paying jobs and what skills (employees) are looking for,” she said. “Our hope is to help students understand what is going on in the world of work and why they need to take rigorous classes and pursue postsecondary options.”
In addition to meeting with school counselors, Jones said, students should meet with their school’s work-based learning specialist, participate in job-shadow events and visit colleges.
Jones has been an educator for 28 years. Next school year she will serve as principal of Sprucewood Elementary School. She will replace Garth Anderson, who is retiring.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Four being questioned in attempted murder of...
- Schools at top and bottom of Title I...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 95
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 20
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 15
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal... 11