SANDY — Lori Jones, Canyons School District’s comprehensive counseling and guidance coordinator, has been named the Utah Technology Council’s Educator of the Year.
Jones was selected for the award for her efforts to connect school counselors with industry representatives and improve career opportunities for students, according to a news release from the school district.
“I want them to look at every challenge as an opportunity to learn and make sure they take hard classes that make them think," she said. "(Students) should go the extra mile by exploring and learning everything they can about the career of their dreams and the college of their dreams.”
Jones also was recognized for her efforts to bring engineering and tech executives to meet with district counselors at the annual Wasatch Front Counselor Fair to make sure their knowledge was up to date.
“It’s important to have continual training as to what are the high-paying jobs and what skills (employees) are looking for,” she said. “Our hope is to help students understand what is going on in the world of work and why they need to take rigorous classes and pursue postsecondary options.”
In addition to meeting with school counselors, Jones said, students should meet with their school’s work-based learning specialist, participate in job-shadow events and visit colleges.
Jones has been an educator for 28 years. Next school year she will serve as principal of Sprucewood Elementary School. She will replace Garth Anderson, who is retiring.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18