Utah native Brandon Lyon opts out of Bees deal; former MVP Josh Hamilton to rehab with Bees
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Taylorsville High School alumnus Brandon Lyon opted out of his Salt Lake Bees contract Tuesday morning, choosing free agency over sticking in Triple-A.
Lyon opted out of his deal prior to the Bees’ 7-4 win over Albuquerque Tuesday at Smith’s Ballpark, the team announced.
The Utah native and Dixie State product was 0-6 on the year, holding a 4.08 ERA in 20 appearances with the Bees. Lyon had struggled over his last 10 outings, posting a 7.36 ERA and losing five decisions in than span.
He last pitched Monday night, tossing a perfect inning against the Isotopes.
The 34-year-old signed a minor league deal with the Los Angeles Angels in the offseason but did not appear with the Angels this season. Lyon has pitched in the majors with Toronto, Boston, Arizona, Detroit, Houston and with the New York Mets in his 11-year major league career.
He has a 4.16 career ERA in Major League Baseball.
The Bees also announced Angels outfielder and 2010 American League MVP Josh Hamilton will suit up for Salt Lake Thursday in a rehab stint with the team.
"Josh Hamilton is arguably the highest profile player at this stage of his career to play for the Bees," Bees general manager Marc Amicone said, in a news release. "We welcome him to Salt Lake City, hope for a successful rehabilitation stint and encourage Bees fans to come out to Smith's Ballpark to watch a hitting superstar in person."
Hamilton was placed on the disabled list on April 9 with a torn ligament in his left thumb. The injury occurred when the outfielder slid head first into first base during a game at Seattle.
OC Register Angels beat writer Pedro Moura tweeted on May 7 that Hamilton was scheduled to be back in the majors by May 25.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15