10-year-old entrepreneur strives to stop child slavery through lemonade stand
Most lemonade stands are spearheaded by children looking to earn extra cash for their toy fund, but 10-year-old Vivienne Harr set hers up for a noble reason: to end child slavery.
When Harr was 8 years old, she saw a heartbreaking picture of two young Nepalese slaves. She decided to start a lemonade stand in May 2012 and charged "whatever's in your heart," donating all the proceeds to charities fighting to end child slavery, according to Business Insider.
She made a commitment to sell lemonade for 365 days in hopes of earning $100,000 to free 500 slaves.
When New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg heard about her cause, he invited Harr to sell her lemonade in Times Square, where she earned more than $101,000.
"You did it, honey, you're done," Harr's parents said when she reached her goal. Harr asked if child slavery was done, and when her parents shook their heads, she replied, "Then I am not done."
Now, Vivienne's once small lemonade stand has turned into a small business called Make A Stand.
"I know I might be small, but I have a big idea," Harr said in her TEDxFiDiWomen presentation.
Make A Stand is now the subject of a children's book and a documentary.
Harr's certified organic, Fair-Trade lemonade has been bottled and is now sold in more than 150 stores in the Western United States and in Texas, according to Make A Stand. She has raised more than $1,000,000 to free slaves.
The Harrs give five percent of gross revenues to their seven recipient organizations.
"It's a giveness, not a business," Harr told the NBC Bay Area.
Editor's note: This story has been updated to correct the portion of the Make Stand revenue that is given to charity.
Megan Marsden Christensen is a writer for the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth law due...
- Video: Man uses 'random acts of pasta' to...
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be what...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- 10 million views in 10 days: Behind the...
- Richard Paul Evans: 8-year-old boy with bone...
- Utah dad uses artistic talent, over 900 lunch...
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be... 23
- 10 million views in 10 days: Behind the... 14
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 12
- Evangelicals with gay children... 11
- The factors that drive or deter teen sex 10
- Families have become the scapegoat of... 9
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere 5
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth... 4